BBC documentary - The Story of Jamaican Music

Moderator: interruptor

Dub Attack Force

BBC documentary - The Story of Jamaican Music

Post by Dub Attack Force » Mon May 05, 2008 10:44 am

http://vodpod.com/search/browse?site=da ... an%20music

I've just seen this documentary (in 4 parts) and I think it's worth watching for the interviews and the connection with the past, but to avoid unrealistic expectations when watching, beware that:

1) It doesn't cover dub at all - only Jamaican ska and reggae;
2) It simply omits rather massive and noticeable landmarks in Jamaican music without even giving them a passing mention;
3) It's a 'unique' BBC angle on reggae, where all roads lead to UB40 :?
4) It gives a very skewed perspective on the history of Jamaican music, seeming to give an unusual handful of people undue credit for 'inventing' reggae, etc.
5) It's generally a poor and lazy documentary in every sense, and simply fails in what it sets out to do.

However, it's still nice to watch the likes of Jimmy Cliff and Bunny Lee telling the same old stories, and Max Romeo (R.I.P.) so if you've nothing better to do then check it out. :)

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sun May 25, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks for the link..

I don't think this documetary is all that bad. The four videos that appear on the page you link to are making up only part one of the whole thing. This one hour segment tells the story from the beginnings to the time when Rocksteady started to turn to Reggae and became popular in England. That was in the late sixties. So the big names you are missing were probably simply not known yet. The classic roots reggae era was the mid to late seventies.

cheers mate.. :beer:

rgfin

Post by rgfin » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi,

Ive got this video on my website, there is two more interesting films that you might want to look at.

http://www.nottsdub.co.uk/videos/index.html

Peace, Love, Unity