Recommended new Dub in the roots tradition?

Moderator: interruptor

bin_ez

Post by bin_ez » Tue May 28, 2002 12:40 am

Speaking about the Roots of Dub, up until I found this site, I never really thought about Dub beyond King Tubby, Lee Perry, Augustus Pablo, Keith Hudson, etc., etc., etc....I was wondering if you would care to recommend some current day artists with a sound similar to theirs...I've heard one&#40;!&#41; Mad Professor song &#40;Kunte Kinte&#41; which I thought was pretty cool, but a bit too modern sounding....I mean it sounds ridiculous, looking for a current day artist who sounds like he recorded 30 years ago...My standards are probably too high. <BR> <BR>The thing is, on this site people say things like forget about the past and think support the modern artists. It brought to my attention that I could be missing out. Nothing is going to make me stop enjoying the roots, but perhaps you, &#40;or anyone else, in the spirit of this great site&#41;, could point me in the direction of something...I dunno, Rootsy? <BR> <BR>Anyway, keep up the good work, Later.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue May 28, 2002 11:48 am

since the mid to late eighties producing dubs with drum machines and synthesizers is cheaper than with traditional instruments. this opened the door for low budget productions and far more people are in the position to start producing their own music since then. especially in the beginning these machines sounded pretty artificial and could never rival the sonic richness of real instruments played by real musicians. one must be aware however that most of these dubs are made for THE SOUND SYSTEM where the music is played loud. so loud that the sound system is out of it's linear range and starts colouring the sound. In such cases the huge amps and speakers become an indispensable part of the music. Together with the MC's intros and toasts, the special dub effects &#40;sirens etc..&#41; added by the operator and the crowd interactions you get the complete dub experience. <BR>listening to the record alone is not what such music was made for.. if you want to know about newer &#40;post seventies&#41; dub it's a must to go and see one of the typical sounds like Jah Shaka or Aba Shanti live! <BR>since the mid nineties or so an increasing number of highly polished dub productions in the roots tradition began to emerge which are also or even mainly aimed at the home listeners. <BR>good examples which inspired me a lot are the albums "Dub the Millenium" and "Shining" by Manasseh and The Equalizer or last years "Hi-Fidelity Dub Sessions Presents Roots Combination". <BR>also the new compilation <A HREF=" http://www.yourrelease.com/audio/tanty/ ... tmm">roots of dub funk 2</A> gives a good overview of rootsy and other new dub.

bin_ez

Post by bin_ez » Tue May 28, 2002 7:53 pm

Thanks, man. <BR> I was going through my music and I came across a group called the Resinators playing live at Reggaebanna in Toronto, I think they're Canadian. Anyway they're real good and I think they're Contempory...I also was listening to a Scandavian guy called Per Tjernberg, its great as well. <BR>Anyway I'm gonna take note of those names you gave. <BR> <BR>Take it easy.

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Thu May 30, 2002 6:55 am

Hi, <BR> <BR>I don't know a lot of new oldskool dubber... <BR>I do dub and my goal is to do 70's style dub, but i use only digital hardware and it's hard to get a good sounds. <BR>But i'm on the way and i work all day for that. I'm going to release 4 new track but for the moment i have only 3 track. <BR>You can check at <A HREF="http://www.kocha.fr.st" TARGET="_top">www.kocha.fr.st</A> but for the moment it's not sound's like oldskool dub... it's my style and i want to grown it high. <BR> <BR>You can check http://www.solomonjabby.com/ Solomon use old effect and hardware... spring reverb... perhaps the same as the KING. It's realy good dub make today with the oldskools vibes. <BR> <BR>So as interruptor as say.. Jah Shaka too make old style dub. <BR> <BR>Jah Bless. <BR><A HREF="http://www.kocha.fr.st" TARGET="_top">KoCha</A>
KoCha, reggae-dub producer

Almighty Dub Records - Independent Reggae Dub Production
Open Dub Foundation - The WorldWide Dub Meeting

bin_ez

Post by bin_ez » Fri May 31, 2002 2:05 am

Yeah man, I heard one of your tunes and it was in the Roots style, but lacked the analogue-y, Lee Perry-y, Woody kinda distorted style. Its all about harmonic distortion. Digital can't really emulate it yet.....anyway keep up the good work. <BR> <BR> <BR>Later

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Fri May 31, 2002 10:50 am

Yes i know... i must have analogue hardware to get same sounds as old.. perhaps when i have money i can buy that but now i training me with digit. <BR> <BR>Thx for your comment <BR> <BR>See You <BR> <BR>Kocha

bin_ez

Post by bin_ez » Fri May 31, 2002 6:59 pm

Have you experimented with recording onto ordinary cassettes, for example, and pumping up the gain to give more distortion, try shit like that. You'd probably know better than me. <BR> <BR>On another topic, you must be pretty pissed off with Senegal right about now...oh well, I reckon France'll still make the final four at least. As for me &#40;Ireland&#41; I don't think we'll be going anywhere after the 11th of June.

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:40 pm

My last to song are recorded on tape and after to mp3.. the first time i do this they totaly distorded... I'm currently experimently distortion effect in my studio software to warm the sound. <BR> <BR>Thx, See You. <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.kocha.fr.st" TARGET="_top">KoCha</A>

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:36 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:07 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:16 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:40 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:01 am

DELETED