Looking for piano sound from certain synth.

Moderator: interruptor

rickd

Looking for piano sound from certain synth.

Post by rickd » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:29 am

Greetings, I was wondering if anyone here knows the type of synths that were used in 80s reggae.

I noticed that this question was asked once or twice before on this site, but mine is different in a sense. I'm looking for a certain piano sound. I can't describe it and I can't let you hear a sample because I don't see where you can upload songs on this site or not.

Anyhow, this certain piano sound that I'm talking about isn't the one that comes from the Yamaha Dx series (The one you hear in the majority of Jammy's label tunes) nor the Korg M1. The M1's pianos are too glossy but some of them sound close to the piano I'm speaking of.

I somewhat doubt the Roland D-50 has this piano patch. I don't own one so I don't know. The only other synth I have in mind that may have it is the Casio CZ-101. I don't possess this synth either, but the reason I guessed this one is because it is one of the synths that Steelie & Clevie used for melodic and chordal parts back in those days (Along with the Yamaha DX-7).

If anyone has a clue, please let me know. It would really help if there was a way to upload songs here.

Thanks in advance.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi
It's really hard to know what your looking for without an example to listen to.
You can attach wav, wma, or mp3 files up to 512kB to your messages posted on this board. Use the "Add an Attachment" window below the text entry field. I attached a snare sample to this message as an example.

Alternatively you could search the song with the piano sound on amazon.com or itunes and post a link here.

cheers
Interruptor
Attachments
wannarokk_snr_cleaned.wav
(15.17 KiB) Downloaded 17671 times

rickd

Post by rickd » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi,

under the text entry fied, there is no "Add an Attachment" window below. I don't know if it's because of my browser or what (Internet Explorer 7).

Check this link. Listen to the track "We've Got It All (Make It Real)". That's the type of piano I'm talking about.

http://www.reggaerecord.com/en/catalog/ ... code=62055

rickd

Post by rickd » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:31 am

Well, does someone here at LEAST have a Casio CZ synth? Just hearing some samples of the piano patches would help me out at least some. If not a Casio CZ, then some piano samples of other synths that were used for dancehall back then.

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:55 pm

Unless you are familiar with all the sonic possibilities of all the synths you've mentioned - then there it might be a self created patch on one of the synths you've already mentioned - it might be a layered sound from one synth or more than one synth/sampler - it might be eq'd or filtered or processed by some outboard bit of gear.
It could be some built in speaker cheap keyboard - it might not be anything anyone would have heard of.

If you haven't already tried you might get better response on a synth or general music tech forum.

rickd

Post by rickd » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:35 pm

It isn't a self created patch, because I've heard the piano being used on tunes from different labels. It is a preset. I heard it being used on alot of tunes from Music Works, Kennedy Intl., and very few tunes from Penthouse.

That "Add An Attachment" option is still not here either for some reason, so I guess I can't upload any samples. That sure isn't any help.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:21 pm

I listened to the track you linked. It's true, this sounds like one of those early and rather cheapo sample based piano presets. It seems to me that an essential element of this sound is to cut away the low frequencies with an eq.
Regarding the Casio CZ: You could download the demo version of this Casio CZ VST emulation to try out whether it can do that piano sound. As I understand the Casio CZ uses phase distortion synthesis only and no sample based sounds at all.

rickd

Post by rickd » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:44 am

Wow, I'm surpised you found that vst1 synth. Thanks.

From my experience playing around with it. That piano patch that I'm talking about sounds like it would come from the Casio CZ 101/100/1.
Not too glossy like the Korg M1's pianos, and not to Flute and bell sounding like the Yamaha DX's pianos. However, I'm still not sure unless I hear a sample of some of the pianos from the actual synth itself.

On a different note, I now see the "add an attachment" window (It wasn't showing before for some strange reason), so I'm going to upload some more samples now. These songs have the piano where you can hear them clearly (Without a guitar skank or reverb hiding it).

The quality sux though because I had to re-encod them in order to fit the max upload size.
Attachments
brian and tony gold - maniac.wma
(483.03 KiB) Downloaded 17571 times
johnny p and derrick parker - samfie love (sample).wma
(480.1 KiB) Downloaded 17571 times
krystal - take my breath away (sample).wma
(477.17 KiB) Downloaded 17571 times

overstand

Post by overstand » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:10 pm

i had a a beginners non touch sensitive casio that had a very similar piano sound.. i think it was supposed to sound like an acoustic piano i think

there are a few reason piano patches that sound similar to this

i am after some nice bubble organ sounds myself if anyone can direct me..

rickd

Post by rickd » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:16 am

I did see a topic on here that discussed organ bubbles. I just read it this past week.

I don't know if you came across this one yet, but you can read it to see if it can supply you with some info that you need.

http://www.interruptor.ch/Php5/dubboard ... .php?t=800

Do you still have your casio keyboard?

SilverCanary

Re: Looking for piano sound from certain synth.

Post by SilverCanary » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:53 pm

Very late reply, I know.

I just saw an interview with Clevie where he says that the piano sound for the Jammy$ studio comes from a Korg Poly 61M.
Sharing it here because I've been looking for that sound for a very long time.

source:

interruptor

Re: Looking for piano sound from certain synth.

Post by interruptor » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:33 pm

Thanks for sharing. That's a great interview! :thumbsup: