People Funny Boy

Moderator: interruptor

bin_ez

People Funny Boy

Post by bin_ez » Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:08 am

I'd like to hear feedback from people who read this book. I started it the other day, at first it was just a big list of biographies of other artists and songs and I thought it was going to go on like that for the whole thing, but the bit describing Perry's collaborations with the Wailers was excellent, I loved it. I'm looking forward to delving deeper into it now. I guess the earlier part was not as interesting because I was not as familiar with the artists in question and although the music is excellent (Return of Django, People Funny Boy etc., etc.) it pales in comparison to the work Perry did with the Wailers, Heptones, Congos, Max Romeo and Junior Murvin and others (in my opinion anyway).

pavle

People Funny Boy

Post by pavle » Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:38 pm

yeah, <BR>i bought the book about a year ago and started reading it ..... but didn't like the author's style .... no no, not at all. and i didn't like the list of biographies either. <BR>so i stopped. <BR>since, i've picked it up every now and then and just read odd bits here and there - using it also as a reference book &#40;seeing that he's written about nearly everyone!&#41;. so i appreciate it more now, but probably won't read it through properly in the near future. <BR>anyways, scratch is a crazy motherfunker ... and i couldn't help but think "there must be a fair amount of stress when working with him"!

bin_ez

People Funny Boy

Post by bin_ez » Sat Sep 28, 2002 7:21 pm

It gets better as it goes on, it becomes more the story of Scratch's life. You really should read all the Black Ark bits, he goes into detail on the recording sessions and all that. <BR>When he writes about Scratch going crazy is great as well. <BR> <BR>Scratch must be called a genius about 30 times in the book, by all different people. It's true he's a genius.

Bingy Bunny

People Funny Boy

Post by Bingy Bunny » Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:18 pm

Greetings. I read the book about 6 months ago. The biographical stuff about all the various sidemen, etc., can get a litte tiresome, and I agree that some of the strongest stuff is the descriptions of working with the Wailers, the Black Ark period and the period with Adrian Sherwood. I now think of the biographical stuff as more like an historical archive. It's safe to skip a lot of this stuff if you want to get to specific periods of Perry's life, but it's great that Katz went to all the trouble to record all he could find about these people and their contribution to Reggae. I think without his work a lot of info. about these folks might have disappeared forever. I think of those parts of the book now as a reference source, to be dipped into as the need arises. Peace all.

DELETED

People Funny Boy

Post by DELETED » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:45 am

DELETED

DELETED

People Funny Boy

Post by DELETED » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:55 pm

DELETED

DELETED

People Funny Boy

Post by DELETED » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:51 am

DELETED