Miking and recording a kit to get that 'Greensleeves' sound

Moderator: interruptor

Richmo

Miking and recording a kit to get that 'Greensleeves' sound

Post by Richmo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Obviously, miking a drum kit is an art in itself. I don't pretend to have a deep grasp on it, but I'm trying to learn. I can't for the life of me figure out how they get that super crisp, almost electric-sounding drum kits they use in earlier 'rootsy', dancehall like Barrington Levy, Don Carlos, Junior Reid, and to an extent newer cats like Alborosie. Are they using an electric kit? Any insight is appreciated.

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:30 pm

Can you link to a track (bound to be on YouTube) that you think has a really typical example of what you mean?

Richmo

Post by Richmo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:27 am

Yeah, sorry. I guess that would help, haha. I think this is a pretty good example. I know it's a live kit (?), but the kick is SO crisp and cuts just right. And the snare sounds like a sample - no resonance. Hoe that makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXFzE4Vf ... F5&index=8

Richmo

Post by Richmo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:36 am

And to an extent this track too. The musicianship of these cats just amazes me, and it's almost unmatched today. I can't find a rhythm section that plays like this to save my life. Drums anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Dpb8LEowo

Klaus5

Post by Klaus5 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:05 pm

I believe thats Style Scott on drums at Channel One studio

You might enjoy having a read through this thread if you havnt already seen it. Someone did a big post about tips for recording drums, somewhere in there... I dont remember if it specifically mentioned channel 1 sound though. This all goes over my head but i thought i might as well point it out!

http://www.bloodandfire.co.uk/db/viewto ... =1&t=30824

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm not a drum miking expert and these are just thoughts but:
That is a really tight and crisp sound. It's got quite a lot of top end sizzle.
Certainly sounds like close mics for each drum element. The hi-hats I think to get that sound must have been eq'd a lot to leave just that narrow top end.
I think there might be a gate on that snare to get that sound, so you get all the snariness without any ring.

There's little enough toms in it that you could have recorded those on their own and kept them out of the kit for the rest of the recording. That would help with a really clean and separated sound.

Perhaps it is a very good programmig of a drum machine and all above is not relevant, but it seems to have too much feel for that.
I'm not sure what equipment and techniques were available in 1985. There were certainly drum pads, but I don't know what the options were with sounds.