How do you record drums and handle stereo channels?

Moderator: interruptor

stranded horse

How do you record drums and handle stereo channels?

Post by stranded horse » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Hey, I was wondering because right now I record drums with only 2 mics (snare/kick) which gives a very lo-fi sound and I want to get 2 overheads to use the Glyn Johns method (http://homerecording.about.com/od/recor ... _johns.htm).
I use channel 1 on my mixer for kick and channel 2 for snare/rest of drum kit, but those are mono channels. The Glyn Johns method creates a stereo image of the kit, which I think is generally better sounding on drums.
I use a DAW in conjunction with the M-Audio 8R Fast Track as an 8-Track playback and recording device, but then I only dub with my mixer and hardware effects. In my DAW (Renoise) I have all stereo channels, but on the mixer they will be mono.
I want to keep using 2 faders for all the drum kit, so I want to take one channel for kick and one for snare+overheads.
I use a Mackie 1620, so I have 8 mono channels (1-8) and 4 stereo channels (9-12). Should I just rout my snare+overheads to one of the stereo channels?
Would be awkward for me having drums on channel 9 and 10 for some reason. I don't know, I would prefer though to keep my drums on channels 1 and 2, but routing them to 9 and 10 is the only solution I can think of at the moment.

How do you do it? Do you use mixers will all stereo channels? Or do you keep your whole drum kit mono?

regards,
s.h.