Resonant Bass jah warrior style

Moderator: interruptor

FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:08 am

Hi, <BR> <BR>Im doing a sound installation project that aims to replicate/emulate the sound of resonance in a space. <BR> <BR>Not talking about modal resonances but the reaction/buzzing of air-conditinoing/wall panels/windows etc at a harmonic relationship to bass sounds - that vibration felt in a room... <BR> <BR>I'm using max/msp to do some trickery and am getting to the point where Im wanting to get the sounds happening. <BR> <BR>Im using max/msp to analysise incoming audio signals, find potential 'resonances' in the signal, such as bass peaks, and generate basic synthesis at a harmonic reationship to the incoming bass signal. <BR> <BR>But as for that beautiful 'buzzing sound?' Not your ordinary bass sound, nor normal synthesis? Somthing that sounds like a vibrating object or resonant space? <BR> <BR>The first thing that comes to mind is that 'jah warrior' style bass - very diffuse and resonant. Longish decay and lots of related vibration/buzzing going on! <BR> <BR>Does anyone have any good tips on the synthesis/effects process to make these sort of sounds? <BR> <BR>Cheers <BR>Eliot

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:45 pm

hi eliot! <BR> <BR>are you refering to the artist jah warrior? <BR><a href="http://www.jahwarrior.com/" target="_blank">http://www.jahwarrior.com/</a> <BR>or are you just trying to find a term to describe what you hear? <BR> <BR>the long decay you are talking about is due to the natural reverberation of the room the sound system plays in. this part of the phenomenon together with the equalizing changes can be emulated using impulse responses. see this page on <a href="http://www.interruptor.ch/club_simulation.shtml">club simulation</a> with impulse responses of two clubs. <BR>the rattling of wall panels and windows unfortunately is not recreated by that method. i have no clue how that could be achieved - probably using some physical modelling techniques.. <BR> <BR>what is the aim of your "sound installation project"? do you try to create the feeling/experience of a sound system in your living room?

FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:58 pm

Thanks, <BR> <BR>Yep referring to Jah Warrior the artist. <BR> <BR>the aim of the project? I am a dubhead first and foremost - which is the motivation to the project. <BR> <BR> <BR>The way that the room responds and contributes to a bassline is something that has intrigued me since the first warehouse dub/jungle parties I've been to. All this extra harmonic information, colours the music, adds to the asthetic qualities of the bass. <BR> <BR>I guess I'm wanting to emulate the experience of room reverberation/resonation in a way that I can reproduce in smallish scale multi channel sound system - giving people a feel for something that I experince in a specific cultural/physical environment - in a differnet context. <BR> <BR>Im looking into physical modelling. the issue with all this stuff is it can be quite academic, and a lot of 'quasi-programming' hours in an app such as MAX/MSP. <BR> <BR>I was hoping to approach this from a slightly more abstract/musical angle as well. <BR> <BR>Without going into physical modelling I guess its the harmonic 'richness' of the jah warrior syle bass that Im after, the multiple components to the sound - is theres a procressing/synthesis approach used to create that sort of sound I can use that as a stage in my sound generation. <BR> <BR>thanks for the link on impulse responses etc - It makes perfect sense for that diffuse sound - Id recognised beforehand in artists such as jah warrior that the sound appears to be based on that sense of 'being in a space.' Im still considering how useful that will be to me in the end as im hoping to make each discrete channel 'respond' to bass in a differnt way, probably adding room spatializaion to the sound as a final process depending on the installation. <BR> <BR>Cheers! <BR>Eliot

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:47 pm

You could play your bass through a speaker/amp in a suitable room and mic it up. <BR> <BR>Alternatively try using a suitable reverb plug in, eq etc. Theres all kinds of stuff that models specific room and space sizes, shapes and materials. <BR> <BR>It seems to me that a lot of the bass on 70's dub has some reverberance on it - which I presume is due to the bass being recorded by mking up a big amp in a room and some of the room ambience is being picked up. <BR> <BR>If you are in the intended listening zone of a big sound system then the sound of the system will drown out any objects its making rattle or vibrate if the set up/venue is in any way sensible, won't it?

FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:25 am

Thanks Neil <BR> <BR>In this case the source of signal is not an actual bass but low frequeny content in soundscape recordings, including some recordings of music... so its like a realtime processer of natural bass sounds, - like a spatial audio 'plugin' adding the effect of 'vibration' to other bass sounds. <BR> <BR>And its not the room reverberation im after &#40;the size/reverberation modelling&#41;, its making noises that sound like vibrating objects in the room - all a bit abstract im afraid! <BR> <BR>The playback is on a comparitively small, spatial audio system - not big enough to make real massive vibrations in a room. the idea is to emulate those vibration sounds, make people feel like theyre in a bigger, resonant space &#40;such as an old warehouse&#41;. <BR> <BR>I guess also it will be a lot about the immediacy of those vibration sounds - even at big gigs, if you stand back from the PA its the local objects you notice, &#40;windows, air con etc&#41; that can be heard in conjunction with the 'dry' pa sound. <BR> <BR>I know it sounds a bit bizarre but this ideas been running round my head for a while now! thought id give it a shot... drawing on the aesthetic qualities of some dub productions I like, <BR> <BR>Cheers <BR>Eliot

Downpressor

Post by Downpressor » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:47 am

Have you tried doubling up the bass track and using a lowpass filter on the second track and applying different reverbs to both? <BR> <BR>You could also use the bass track to drive a gate on another track of low frequency rumbling, again with different reverbs on both

FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:23 am

Thanks, <BR> <BR>Ill have a good look at reverb options. Would one get good reverb/buzzing sounds by modelling a room with multiple, really early reflections? <BR> <BR>Can anyone recommend a good vst for &#40;cant remember the exact term&#41; "level tracking?" - I seem to recall some posts on this site about mapping the level of bass to use as gain control on another sound. Maybe that will be useful - im already doing this in Max/msp but maybe a plug in will be less processor intensive. <BR> <BR>The problem with this software is if you dont really know what yr doing it can drain the cpu pretty quick! <BR> <BR>Does anyone here use max/msp for dubby stuff? I know some of the ~scape artists use it, but that more on the germanic tek/dub side of things... <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Eliot

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:20 pm

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:05 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:17 am

DELETED