Another question re: specific percussion instrument

Moderator: interruptor

Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:27 am

Another question re: specific percussion instrument

Post by wadadlireggae » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:34 am

I finally saw on an old video the piece that is used on so many old tracks. Its a bent piece of metal held in one hand and struck with a stick with the other to produce that " t-t-ting, t-t-ting, t-t-ting, ting, ting" sound like the effect of water in a glass bottle sloshing around...or something....
Oh, and while striking, the metal piece is squeezed to produce the varying tones.
Anyone know what this is called and where I can get one?

User avatar
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Dortmund City


Post by JahNice » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:50 am

Hi wadadlireggae and welcome to the Dub Discussion Board..

This is one of my favourite percussion instruments and it must be the one with the wickedest name on it! Its called a Flexatone....

You can get it here:
Dont do the mistake to go for a cheap or small one cause they really dont sound as good..

If you want a cheap one, build one for your self:
But then again, i think it will be difficult to make it sound nice..

peace 8-)

User avatar
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:48 pm
Location: UK

Post by Klaus5 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:33 pm

its funny you should mention water in a bottle, because in a interview with Max Romeo on a BBC doc about jamaican music, he mentions how Lee Perry would make sounds like that, specifically water in a bottle!

Red eye
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:27 pm

Post by Red eye » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 pm

Ya man, Flextone hehe, funny instrument.
Most of the time the little strip with the ball was broken off and the metal of the flexatone was hit with a drumstick or something to have more control over the sound and timing.

I guess they used a waaaayyy bigger version in some recordings too.
Sounds like a really big, thin metal plate hit with something.
Can not come up with a example for now but as soon as it hit me I'll let it know.
In my mind it was on some Gladiator style chunes but not sure so....


Post Reply