PureData for dub

Moderator: interruptor

Zutao Premium Dub

PureData for dub

Post by Zutao Premium Dub » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Is anyone using Miller Puckette's PureData program for making dub music? It looks interesting, as 'PureData is primarily for real-time performance'.

http://puredata.info

Caucasian

Post by Caucasian » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:16 am

Hi Zutao,

I've started to build my own instrument for live dubbing in pd and I'm really amazed by the possibilities of this free open source software. I see the way of work with this software very similar to old school dub hardware electronic tweaking - you can also build the stuff nobody else has...

I think pd is even more for sound engineers than musicians because you have to enjoy the programming as much as music ;-)

I'm using pd mainly for signal routing , VST controlling and receiving signals from MIDI controller. As hardware I have midi controller with endless knobs (quite important), 4/4 sound card, DJ (sic) mixer with send/return and turntable.

Below are some screenshots:

1) Basic signal routing where I control whole setup
2) Inside of “midi knob” which allows to set number of steps for rotary controller and even range
3) Inside of mixer with simple 4 track player behind and controller presets

C.
Attachments
Mixer+4Tplayer.jpg
(161.17 KiB) Downloaded 14913 times
Midiknob.jpg
(44.73 KiB) Downloaded 14913 times
Signalrouter.jpg
Signalrouter.jpg (52.41 KiB) Viewed 35622 times

Zutao

Post by Zutao » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for that interesting information! Maybe I should have a go at copying that mixer setup of yours..
I agree with your line of thought. For me also, dub could never be done entirely in PureData or with software: I need my old-school hardware in the sound. So it's a real innovative solution to have a MIDI controlled mixer in PureData like that. How much load does it put on the CPU?

JahNice

Post by JahNice » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:57 am

Very interesting program i'll check it out! thanks Zutao

Peace Yiannis

Caucasian

Post by Caucasian » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:06 am

Hey Zutao,

I've already rebuild the mixer to 9 tracks and 3 auxes (bought Korg NANO KONROL) -see screenshot attached.

The CPU load is in pd mostly dependent on GUI objects. Actually I've chosen not very good GUI concept for my mixer (too much GOPs), so it's a bit CPU eater... But if you close the window CPU load is almost none, so it's matter of progam/code optimalization. I have to rebuild it again ;-)

Now I'm working on component called VisualTracker. It will be Ableton Live like sample sequencer with "fit in tempo" anl looping feature for composing tracks...

Right now I feel really "pddicted" ;-)

ps.: I'm planning to set up a page with all my patches to download, so definitely you can use it. But first I have to prepare it for "release" - without inside comments patch is almost unreadable ...

all the best
c.
Attachments
9Tmixer.jpg
9Tmixer.jpg (109.51 KiB) Viewed 35196 times
VisualTracker_preview.jpg
VisualTracker_preview.jpg (93.19 KiB) Viewed 35196 times

Klaus5

Post by Klaus5 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Looks a bit like the program "Audiomulch"

I had a brief mess around with audiomulch once and it seemed pretty cool for messing about live if you have a midi controller, but i dont, and its not too easy to use just mouse!

By the way, is nano kontrol good for dub mixing? It looks excellent for the price tag, but im concerned it might not be weighty enough for flicking the faders up and down etc without blutacking it to a desk or something!

Zutao

Post by Zutao » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:22 pm

Muchas Gracias Caucasian!

The digital mixer in PureData does look like the future of dub. Excellent stuff and good work man.

Caucasian

Visualtracker released

Post by Caucasian » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:00 am

Hi all,
project Visualtracker is launched now and ready for use ( though still in ALPHA stage ). Its 100% open source and prepared for your tweeking...

http://code.google.com/p/visualtracker/

Note you need pd (www.puredata.info) installed and have at least basic programming skills to work with this software...

ales
Attachments
w7-full_small.jpg
screenshot
w7-full_small.jpg (109.11 KiB) Viewed 34223 times

Zutao

Post by Zutao » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Wow! That looks great! I'll give it a shot and let you know how I get on with it. Good work man. :D