Moderator: interruptor

dubweiser420

Ableton LIVE

Post by dubweiser420 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:40 am

anyone using it? thoughts?

Winston Rodney

Ableton LIVE

Post by Winston Rodney » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:14 pm

Hi <BR> <BR>I've been using live for dubby stuff for a few years now and from both a production and performance point of view I think it's hands down the best piece of software out there right now bar none, and the closest you're going to get to having a full desk and a rack full of effects at your disposal &#40;and without having to worry about tracking down hum, ground loops, etc&#41;. <BR> <BR>Combined with the Evolution UC-33e controller it's really unstoppable, easily the first solution I've come across that makes me feel like I'm playing an instrument and not a computer. <BR> <BR>As an added bonus there is a preset in the included resonator effect called Prague that I have discussed several times with people and the general concensus is it's the closest thing to a spring reverb yo're going to find in software form. <BR> <BR>Happy dubbing....

Neil C

Ableton LIVE

Post by Neil C » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:59 pm

I guess if we really want to find out we can download the demo. <BR><A HREF="http://www.ableton.com/_common/frameset/void.html" TARGET="_top">http://www.ableton.com/_common/frameset/void.html</A> <BR> <BR>I'm keen to check out how close the Prague is to a spring reverb.

Neil C

Ableton LIVE

Post by Neil C » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:01 pm

Neil C

Ableton LIVE

Post by Neil C » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:50 pm

I've tried the demo &#40;and had a lot of fun with it&#41;, and here are some of my thoughts. <BR>The bottom line here, is that if live is as much as you can afford, then go for it. If not, then one of the major sequencers - Cubase SX, Logic, Protools, Sonar &#40;PC only&#41;, will I think be better. <BR>I'm a Cubase SX user, and I certainly won't be changing to using Ableton live to create music on. <BR>Don't get me wrong, here. Ableton Live is a very good product, and if I was to perform live with a laptop then I might well use it. Overall, I'd give it an 8/9 out of 10. <BR>It strikes me that if you were just using loops and samples, then Live might be the way to go. You could also probably get a piece finished with Live more quickly. But if you actually want to create the sort of thing that you would use in Live as loops, the major sequencers offer more scope,detail and control. <BR>Contrary to Winston's assertion, the major sequencers are just as close or closer to the experience of a desk and a rack of effects. Cubase SX, for instance, is very much like a virtual studio &#40;VST - virtual studio technology!&#41;. You can also play plug-in effects in real time, either with your mouse or with the many hardware controllers available. For example, I have a tape delay plug in &#40;with nice graphics&#41;, and my keyboard contoller has 8 rotary control knobs. I can assign the knobs to the various parameters of the delay plug-in, and as I turn the knob, the graphic knobs and corresponding parameters of the plug-in accordingly change in response. <BR>The majority of VST plug-ins that I tried with Live wouldn't work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't play plug-in synths with Live, but I guess you could hook something &#40;like Reason&#41; up to it with re-wire. Also, I found the sound quality of Live to be noticeably inferior to Cubase SX. <BR> <BR>The Prague setting of the Resonator effect &#40;which is a very interesting module&#41;: It sounds as if you were standing at one end of a big factory and someone was hitting an anvil at with a hammer at the other end. It does have a spring type sound, but it wouldn't be mistaken for a real spring reverb, it might work well in a digi-dub type track. <BR> <BR>Finally, demos are available for all the sequencers I've mentioned, so you can make your own mind up on which would be best for you. What is most suitable for one person may not be as good for another.