Anyone using Reason for Dub? looking for collaboration

Moderator: interruptor

S.Ishihara

Post by S.Ishihara » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:10 am

To monty dan, <BR>you are the genius! <BR> <BR>I had been suspicious about Reason, 'cause typical cold <BR>electronica things are relatively easy to do with Reason, <BR>especially version 2.5, &#40;my experience&#41; <BR>but &#40;until now&#41; I haven't heard anyone making true dub <BR>with Reason. <BR> <BR>But, your piece is it! Salt water come in my eyes. <BR> <BR>S. Ishihara <BR>Mad Assistant Professor <BR>Hiroshima International University <BR>Peace, from Hiroshima

HM

Post by HM » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:17 am

>> I haven't heard anyone <BR>>> making true dub with Reason. <BR> <BR>he he ;-&#41; <BR> <BR>HM

GREEZY STYLEZ

Post by GREEZY STYLEZ » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:27 am

How in the world would someone make Dub on Reason? Cool idea but I strongly doubt it could contend with true Dub from the seventies. One of the things that makes Dub so beautiful is the use of analog gear. I'd love to be proven wrong but all the current so called Dub I've heard lacks so much integrity. Prove me wrong and post a link... <BR>Respect 2 All.

zjokka

Post by zjokka » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:03 pm

I only use Reason to cook up drumloops that i process to audiofiles to put in my sequencer. That's all. If I would have a drum booth at home and a good drummer, I wouldn't use Reason at all. I don't understand why people would want to use midi piano skanks, now computers are can run the audio files with ease. <BR> <BR>Some dubber tend to like midi because it allows them to alter the sound completely even just before mixing down. But often this just results in uncentered tracks. The important thing is to make fixed arrangement decisions to build up a track. I agree that most Reasondub doesn't lift off and sounds like a computer, but not that it is impossible to make it sound "like real dub". <BR> <BR>Instead of studying Reason, one should also study historical reggae studio techniques. The recent &#42;Studio One Story&#42; on Souljazz records contains a long interview with Coxsone Dodd where he explains how the put the guitar through the Sound Dimension echobox. While the guitar actually plays only one countertime stroke &#42;chak&#42; the echo doubles it to &#42;chakak&#42;. <BR> <BR>You can use this technique on either piano or guitar skanks, and although the result is subtle, it will give your track more of a reggae feel. <BR> <BR>And that's the basic problem with midi computerprogrmmed dub: it is too easy to get it to play exactly right, and too hard to get them to <BR>play subtly off-beat. It is possible, but it takes a great deal of time. <BR> <BR>Personally, I think a lot of computerdub doesn't sound good to old skool dubbers cos they like to hear the electric bass buzzin' thru. Though I am amazed at Kocha's basses. <BR> <BR>If you wanna hear my stuff just surf to <BR>--- <BR><A HREF="http://dubstation.tk" TARGET="_top">http://dubstation.tk</A> <BR>--- <BR>take care <BR>dub up your Christmas! <BR>respect <BR>zjokka

philarcher

Post by philarcher » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:56 pm

reason is like a toy,all sounds have a sheen, this u dont want,when writing dub,load a audio sample into the sampler, and see how much it compresion is added,this is not good!

digikal rootz

Post by digikal rootz » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:41 pm

dub can be made in reason,a sound is only a sound, its what u do with that sound that makes the difference, manipulation is the key,there are no limits.... peace.. digikal rootz..

Pete Murda Tone

Post by Pete Murda Tone » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:54 am

depends whether you think UK style digidub etc is worthless and inauthentic... <BR> <BR>&#40;Shaka and Iration Steppas often make pretty crude digital dub plate bangers...but they are so effective&#41; <BR> <BR>as far as i can see every new style of reggae has been initially dismissed by purists...Perry's productions were derided initially.. <BR> <BR>one "expert" used reckon dancehall was just a tinny coke-noise but now a label he is assoc with is on the reissue bandwagon and 80s digi is rebranded as "classic" <BR> <BR>some still maintain that dub is only authentic if it is a dub made from an original vocal track.. <BR> <BR>reasons new reverb/distortion units and use of good source material can make a big difference <BR> <BR>&#43; you dont have to quantize...or you can cut up a section from a track you like the feel of in recycle and use it as a groove template <BR> <BR>I only use reason because of $ factor, no diss to any other method. <BR> <BR>More folks should take a leaf out of Ryan Moores attidude to anlogue vs digital <BR> <BR>creative misuse of high tech gadgets...wasnt that what tubby and perry did? <BR> <BR>btw I am down for reason collaboration/remixing if anyone is interested.. <BR> <BR>Cheers

foufoune23

Post by foufoune23 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:44 pm

I am also interested in getting into dub, with reason cuz it's cheap. One thing I will want though, is a good piece of midi controller box, the kind that can emulate a real mixer with assignables faders and knobs. I would just play analog loops &#40;mines', friends' and samples&#41; through efx configurations, mix them live as any I-Roy would do. <BR> <BR>Anybody done that to tell me what it is worth ?

dreadrecords

Post by dreadrecords » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:02 pm

hi work with reason2.5 to make my reggae but is just for fun and hobby i just post 2 songs in <BR>"www.reasonstation.net" go the songs browse or look for dreadrecords nickname you can dowload it and post your song . <BR>if yu go there then feedback to me with your opinion <BR><A HREF="mailto:dreadrecords@yahoo.com">dreadrecords@yahoo.com</A>

Mr Weasel

Post by Mr Weasel » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:55 am

Is there any way to tap tempo the delays in Reason? <BR>thanks

Ras Dawit

Post by Ras Dawit » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:28 am

Here's a lil reason dub trick to ''Reason''upon....If you want more realistic Analog style delays/echos,route the digial delays through one of the env.filters and as you tweak/automate the delay feedback,sweep the filter slowly from low to high.&#40;Record/automate the sweep too..&#41;You hear a great emulation of the organic analog echo feedback!Simular in sound to a Line 6 echo-pro I feel...Season between the low pass/high pass settings of the filter for personal taste/needs etc..''Yes-I!'' Forward Love...

Leigh

Post by Leigh » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:05 am

Hi <BR> <BR>I have just bought a new computer with Cubase SE {Rewired as they say} to Reason 3. I was wondering when it gets delivered {seeing as I am new to Reason} not to Cubase as I have an old system with Cubase VST on it. Do you have any Effect setup advice on Reason a basic setup for Dub for where I can start. Which Effects routed to each other and how to route them to the mixer E.T.C. Is there any good Dub Effects that you have found to work with such as reverb delays phaseres E.T.C. It would be much appreciated if you could help so I'll have some idea about Reason when my new system is delivered. <BR> <BR>Leigh.

da g

Post by da g » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:39 am

Its like the holy grail being able to replicate that tubbys&#43;jammys 70's splash effect on the rim or snare . I've tried various units&#40;space echo, grampian, fisher&#41; and still the sound that they get is impossible. Sure people say reggae is about innovation but the sound that these guys got is i'm afraid is impossible to create through any reason package or modern system. I'm afraid you would've had to be born 25 or 30 years in the city of Kingston JA to truly get that sound and hung around wit the man himself.

DC

Post by DC » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:08 pm

King Tubby's used customized mixing console that's the thing. But it's not that hard to do again. You need a spring reverb and a parametric EQ with quite a big range. Place the EQ after the spring and start tweaking the EQ on certain freqs

IronShirt

Post by IronShirt » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:31 am

I just started using Reason 3 for Dub work. I really like the quality of sounds &#43; there's lot's of room to create the sounds your looking for. If your willing to learn and experiment a lot of the traditional Dub effects can be reproduced in Reason. Just wire up the reverb and delays and filters and vocoder and tweak away. A lot of the effect you hear in Dub has a lot to do with hardware plugging somethin into somethin else and tweaking knobs. Reason has a hardware like feel to it and so I believe thusly the same kind of creativeity can be applied. <BR> <BR>If you find Reason too confining try pairing it up with somethin like Ableton Live and then add what vst synths and effects you want.

cheech

Post by cheech » Thu May 11, 2006 1:50 pm

Hey guys <BR>I've been doing some dub tracks with reason recently and I must say I'm quite satisfied with the sound I achieved. I've ran into one problem though: <BR> <BR>On my quest for tape delay feedbacks I've tried each and every patch I could find out there and built some myself. The sound is okay for like 3-4 seconds, but when I try to get some more feedback going, the sound turns from echos to a feedback sound that reminds me more of Jimmy Hendrix in Woodstock than a Dub from Tubby's studio. <BR> <BR>Does anyone have any helpful tips or patches to exchange??

Klaus5

Post by Klaus5 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:22 pm

i use reason alot because i dont have access to a studio, instruments and professional musicians. I find it very good for the drums (using the Drums addon, or refill as they call it) and instruments. The way all the instruments and effects can be tweaked and wired up to virtual mixers and what not is all very intuative and pretty simple for a beginner like me to get a grasp of. You can get loads of sounds of different instruments, about as realistic as you can without actually recording a real live instrument. Sure the ideal would be to have a studio and the services of the skatalites or revolutionaries, but thats not realistic for most people just having a mess around for a hobby.

The only downside about reason is no vst support, but i rewire to ableton for that and mixing. Actually a worse downside is that tehre is no ability to put audio in, which i would like to record guitar parts along with the synths, but that can be done in ableton. (actually i seperately record in audacity now as i find it higher quality, but that could just be the limited harware i have and the particular setting within ableton etc)

I used to just use ableton live with vsti's, but instantly found i got better sounds from reason instruments. Im not saying that one or the other is "better" as such, just that i found it easier to get what i was aiming for personally with reason. (so far! i am always experimenting and learning from others)
Its very quick to build the basic "band" as it were, trumpets, trombone, sax, organ, drums, piano etc from the many many presets, then tweak to get the desired sound of each, then lay out the song, then dub it. Yes i know its not "true" dub or whatever, but i dont care. I only care that i am getting a massive ammount of pleasure from doing it, and surely thats all that matters?

peace