Using Creative Labs AWE64 for music

Moderator: interruptor

Pete Wallshall

Post by Pete Wallshall » Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:57 am

I know it's an old card but has anyone else used one? I've been offered a CT4520 which is the IBM OEM version. Is it full duplex? What does it mean by "no IDE cdrom interface"? Can I still play audio CDs with this card? Any info. greatly appreciated.

HM

Post by HM » Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:35 pm

As I vaguely remember in my foggy brain <BR>there was certain problems conserning <BR>full dublex in this card, I guess it was <BR>perhaps possible if play-back was <BR>restricted to 8 bit, there was many <BR>"stories" and romours how to make the <BR>shit working, but It was legendary for <BR>it&acute;s bad timing and I remember changing <BR>to an an ensoniq "audio-pci" for full- <BR>dublex use,... back then. <BR> <BR>Now adays I would only use the AWE as <BR>a extra midi-port or to add "sampler" <BR>functions of the EMU-8000 chip, but its <BR>suffering from restricted hardware ram <BR> <BR>The CD-rom connectors was actually found <BR>on the sound-card&acute;s in ancient days, so <BR>that people could expand when their main <BR>controller didn&acute;t allow <BR> <BR>so pete if you have plenty of time try to <BR>struggle a bit with this old card, but if <BR>you could afford at least a live-card it <BR>could save you much pain <BR> <BR>HM

Julma

Post by Julma » Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:58 pm

Although AWE64 is quite an old card, it does not really matter, as long as you use the right programs. I have used Fruityloops and AWE64 for about two years now, and with that combo you can make excellent music. So, besides AWE64 you should really get Fruityloops...and plugins, lots of them...