Recording Melodica

Moderator: interruptor

HM

Recording Melodica

Post by HM » Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:38 am

I soon recieve my first Melodica from <BR>Thomann Music,.... the Classic Hohner <BR>soprano, you know the one with worlds <BR>most discusting color,. any advice on <BR>how to mike it is much welcome, first <BR>time recording a wind instrument this <BR>is,.. I have both some nice condenser <BR>microphones, and some dynamic as well <BR> <BR>regards <BR> <BR>HM

KoCha

Recording Melodica

Post by KoCha » Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:25 pm

I just record yesterday my first melodica session... i use a vocal microphone, but i have take time to found how to positionne it to have less repsiration and pressing key noise. I put the mic horizontal and i play over it... i don't know if it's the best technic, but you will soon hear it when i have got finished the mix down. <BR> <BR>Jah Live, <BR> <BR>KoCha / www.almighty-dub.com
KoCha, reggae-dub producer

Almighty Dub Records - Independent Reggae Dub Production
Open Dub Foundation - The WorldWide Dub Meeting

HM

Recording Melodica

Post by HM » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:15 pm

Hi,.. I look forward, Talking Dog also <BR>mentions that keybord-noise makes it a <BR>real challenge,... yes any comments to <BR>this still welcome, I will return also <BR>later when/if I have anything to share <BR> <BR>HM

munky lee

Recording Melodica

Post by munky lee » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:10 pm

hi kocha, nice to hear from you again. <BR> <BR>well, melodica is a REAL instrument, not a synth. so, this is my point of view: you have to hear the noise of the keys. this is normal. <BR>your ears can hear the noise, so the tape too!!! <BR> <BR>like an accordion, like a guitar etc... <BR> <BR>to record it, I use a simple SM57 Shure under my melodica at approx 10 centimeters.

interruptor

Recording Melodica

Post by interruptor » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:41 am

i also think it's nice to hear some of the key noise. i use an old black hohner and place the mic above the keyboard at a distance of ca 20 cm.

HM

Recording Melodica

Post by HM » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:09 pm

point taken :-&#41; I plan to sample the thing, <BR>and most definately I would like both key- <BR>noise and clean sound, it might be nessesary <BR>to remove noises mechanically for clean sound. <BR> <BR>I think sometimes Alpha and Omega uses a very <BR>"cheap" handheld dynamic-mic, for the effect <BR>this provides, and for the ability to use the <BR>mic as a part of the expression <BR> <BR>HM

MotorMind

Recording Melodica

Post by MotorMind » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:48 am

I put the microphone <b>under</b> the melodica. This is where the tone-openings are on most models. When you do that, you get a lot less key lick and more tone.

DELETED

Recording Melodica

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:45 am

DELETED

DELETED

Recording Melodica

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:02 am

DELETED