Help! multitrack recorder

Moderator: interruptor

jza

Help! multitrack recorder

Post by jza » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:04 pm

hi ive been looking for a multitrack recorder with seperate line outs for over a year now so i can mix in real time, has any one got any suggestions. preferably i'd want digital but am happy to get analogue if its easily available
thanks, jza

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:24 am

After years of using external hardware multitrack recorder, I moved to the PC solution...

Check this soundcard :
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/D ... -main.html

Then get a good analog mixer (like Mackie VLZ one's) and you going to get real versatile component to use !
KoCha, reggae-dub producer

Almighty Dub Records - Independent Reggae Dub Production
Open Dub Foundation - The WorldWide Dub Meeting

jza

Post by jza » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:12 pm

ahh cool
so i need pro tools n then i cn jst use my computer?
tht sounds alrite
thanks man

ion5

Post by ion5 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:13 pm

pro tools !?

its a quite professional but quite expensive way to go imo
because the additional plug ins etc... they cost a lot!!!

i would chosse a neutral solution because pro tools i think only works with specialy pro tools stuff...

a really good recording system is MULTIFACE by RME wich u can connect between ur DAW (live,cubase etc) and ur mixing desk (or that m-audio..same basic thing)

or did i understood the whole question wrong?

anyway cant wait to test my reel to reel :)

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:01 am

jza wrote:ahh cool
so i need pro tools n then i cn jst use my computer?
tht sounds alrite
thanks man
Yes, you can, this sound card work well with linux and free software like ardour. Then you can use a MIDI mixing desk and do all in the computer.

A version of pro-tools is delivered with the sound-card cause it's a 'pro-tools' compatible hardware, but you can use any software you want.

I find better to get an analog console and fx to connect to the computer, then you use the computer as a multitrack recorder only, and do dubwise in live with analog hardware.

You can start all digital only with PC low cost software and controller (sound card is too bundled with a version of Abelton Live) and then switch progressivly to analog when you get money to bought what you need..

Good luck bro !
KoCha, reggae-dub producer

Almighty Dub Records - Independent Reggae Dub Production
Open Dub Foundation - The WorldWide Dub Meeting

jza

Post by jza » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:10 pm

ahh thts sounds great
ive alredy gt a mixing desk and several effects
n im about to get logic will it work well witht tht?
thanks KoCha uve helpd alot

ion5

Post by ion5 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:12 pm

yes I
agree wit me man kocha. but as long as u go on vst i d recomend to check freeware stuff like interupptors, and oberon/minimouge etc...

i couldnt deal with fully inside PC so i build/sequence it all in the superb
ABLETON LIVE (recomended) and work the mix on outboard...like kocha mentioned...

a good interface like the m-audio or RME is a must
when u get serious another important thing is studio monitors.. wich i am sorry to say are espensive... HS80m from yamaha recomded... everything under that price is very questionable... thats allready lowest-standart

if u going to buy mixing desk i also recomend 1604 VLZ dont go for a smaler since 4AUX is really minimum to get happy.....

for effects u can actually go pretty cheap... if ur not trying to buy everything lee perry and king tubby used..... cheap spring-reverbs as well as tape echos do the job pretty well..... if u compare it to VST-prices seriously than the decision is easy...

bless
Last edited by ion5 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ion5

Post by ion5 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:13 pm

Logic is professional. if u can handle it i would say is one of the best choose u can do

ableton is easy to learn

blackdogaudio

Post by blackdogaudio » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:02 am

Hi everyone,

Jza, you've been talking about getting a soundcard so that you can separate your sounds conimng from your PC or mac and feed them into your analogue mixer and use your analogue effects etc.
As the other contributors have said this is possible and quite easy and you can go for very cheap solutions right up to really expensive.
With any new or recent mac or pc you will can connect an external soundcard (audio interface). These come in a variety of forms and connect via a USB port or firewire port, so you don't need to worry about fitting a soundcard inside your computer. There are many many choices and all the gear previous contributors mention are all worthy of consideration.
With the exception of protools, pretty much all other audio interfaces will work with any software such as logic, reason, cubase, live, etc etc.
Someone mentioned m-audio and they are good for decent quality and reasonable cost. The RME intefaces someone else mentioned are more expensive but give better sound quality. I guess you need to look for something with a healthy number of analogue inputs and probably more importantly, analogue outputs.
I would avoid a protools setup as it's costly, restrictive and you need to be very sure it is the programme and hardware you want to work with. I don't say this as a criticism of protools because I use it myself, but i think it's worth saying.
Might be worth looking at Behringer interfaces too, they do some reaaly affordable stuff.

best wishes

jza

Post by jza » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:29 pm

thanks alot everyone
ive now got a good understanding for the kit im guna gt