Tascam (teac) 133 tape deck recorder

Moderator: interruptor

ocoughi

Tascam (teac) 133 tape deck recorder

Post by ocoughi » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi!
I just bought this deck recorder today, a tascam 133, i was not searching this kind of hardware but when i saw the price, 10euros,in great condition, i buyed it... it was in a familial street market...
Maybe a professionnal tape deck like this one can reach the sound of some reel tape recorders? computer to tape deck to computer can be nice way to warm the sound of a master or some instruments? it can be a good tool...
How & when do you use your tape deck recorder in your music?
If someone has some infos on the tascam 133 or the owner manual, it can be helpfull for me :D there is some possibilities i don't understand in this machine :-?
Bless,
Manu

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:27 am

whow!! first recording with it; kicks and bass are dirty!!!! even with low input recording. the bass is moving like phase problems...very strange!
is it because i use type I tapes(new one)? i have to find metal type IV ones...
i read somewhere that it can be biasing adjustments problems too...the same phenomene can appears in some reel to reel tape recorders.
no problems in mids and high freqs, quite nice tape compression...
but bass and sub :sad:

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Regarding use of tape recorders in production: Before I had access to vst plugins I mainly recorded music using a hardware sampler and a midi-only DAW (no audio). Sometimes I recorded certain parts like organ chords or strings on the tape and sampled them back from the tape. I liked to drive the tape well into saturation while recording to get a crunchy tape saturation effect.