New to Space Echos - need help

Moderator: interruptor

Sonicboom

New to Space Echos - need help

Post by Sonicboom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Hi everybody,

Just joined this great forum after recently picking up a 301 and searching around for info on it. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

Mine shows its age but is in decent shape. Pots and sliders are scratchy, but no big deal to fix. Wondering if it is normal for the tape transport to run continuously when you turn the unit on. If so, this seems like a quick way to put undue wear on the heads. I was thinking about making a foot switchable power outlet to minimize the wear.

Also, the tape pads on mine are not felt. They are a green abrasive material, almost like one of those green scouring pads made by 3M. Shouldn't they be felt? Can anyone recommend a place to get replacement pads? Mine look like most of the oxide from the tape is now on the pad.

Thanks for any advice!

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Regarding tape transport: Yes I think it's normal. Mine is constantly running too.

The green felt pads are also quite hard in my case. I don't think that's a problem though. However if they are very dirty you probably should replace them. There is nothing wrong with cutting your own pads I suppose..

Sonicboom

Post by Sonicboom » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:26 am

Thanks, Interruptor. I was planning to try cutting my own. Thought maybe someone had a source for them though.