Zion Train effect = Delay or Looper ?!

Moderator: interruptor

Ennayeh

Zion Train effect = Delay or Looper ?!

Post by Ennayeh » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to reproduce an effect on sound that Zion Train (out of many others) is using intensively. However, I can't really determinate whether they are using a digital delay with a long feedback, or a looper.

To hear the effect I'm talking about, check this video (notably the effect applied on voice at 00.40s) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z564cY-y ... re=channel

Any help on how to reproduce the same type of effect, and maybe on with hardware could do the job, would be highly appreciated !! By the way, does someone have an idea about the exact stuff used by Zion Train in this video ?!

Thanks in advance. Bless from sunny Paris :)

Yann

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:59 am

I enjoy that video a lot! I think their approach to a dub sound / band hybrid works great.
The delay is definitely a digital one as you wrote already. I don't know which though.. Did you check their studio equipment list? It mentions several digital delays:
- Boss Digital Delay
- JHS Digital Delay S1024
- Korg SDD1000 Digital Delay

The latter two both have a hold function as I read on the web:
- manual for korg sdd1000
- a recent ebay auction for a JHS S1024

So both of these should be worth a try for the type of effect heard in the video!

hope that helps..

Polo

Re: Zion Train effect = Delay or Looper ?!

Post by Polo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 pm

The effect is based on an old tape stage ecco where the repeats are recorded on multiple heads and tape speed adjusted up or/and down if u turned off the erase head then would run indefinitely. They use ableton but as mentioned probably outboard delay but i have built a rack in ableton so u can capture an external vocal or instrument, start it repeating,freeze it indefinetly and adjust speed of delays. Uses mostly ping pong delay set to pitch mode then press freeze and play with the time speed of repeats also a utility to switch from stereo ping pong to mono.will be doing a utube vid soon