Tape echo simulators

Moderator: interruptor

ellamega

Tape echo simulators

Post by ellamega » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:43 pm

hello all <BR>i could read this site all day! <BR>I have a fostex r8 reel to reel and an old jhs digitec delay DX99RM &#40;!&#41;. I can follow the connections from interruptor's post but despite reading the r8 manual cover to cover can't find a way to "switch to r.a.w mode". Can anyone help? <BR>ta <BR>e

interruptor

Tape echo simulators

Post by interruptor » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:49 am

hi e, <BR> <BR>the fostex r8 is a multitrack machine, made to record on one track while listening to the others &#40;the typical way of recording a song instrument by instrument&#41;. this is only possible if there is just one shared head for recording AND playback. <BR> <BR>read after write, on the other hand, is only possible on machines that have a separate head for recording and playback. you cannot record and playback on the same track on one single head.

ellamega

Tape echo simulators

Post by ellamega » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:05 pm

ah! <BR>thanks for the info. i shall seek out a raw machine. <BR>e

Steve Dallman

Tape echo simulators

Post by Steve Dallman » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:13 pm

I also own the Hohner tape echo as well as a tube and SS Echoplex. <BR> <BR>I've rewound the Sony endless tape a few times. As with the Echoplex tapes, lubricated tape is necessary, and 8 track tape works well. To rewind, pull the tape from the center of the cartridge until you get to the splice. cut the splice and splice your new tape to the end of tape coming off the outside of the tape spool. <BR> <BR>Now pull the tape from the center until you get to the splice again. Cut the old tape off at the splice and splice together the ends of your new tape. This works with the Sony tape and Echoplex tapes. <BR> <BR>I'm in the process of "improving" my Hohner Echo. I plan to add a compander to the echo path to improve performance, and I want to tweak the straight audio path to increase headroom. I will probably add a variable speed control.

Steve Dallman

Tape echo simulators

Post by Steve Dallman » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:14 pm

Also, the Sony Endless Tape RE-4 was made for answering machines.

willem

Tape echo simulators

Post by willem » Sun May 01, 2005 10:40 am

Hi Iam allway's experimenting with Teac 3440's <BR>putting on exstra rec. & playheads from other rec. i find on fly market's to get dubb kind echo's this works verry well one thing i dont know is how to get the ellectric motor to speed <BR>and specially down I like this site <BR>bey and thanks for now <BR>Willem at Rotterdam

leadtowine

Tape echo simulators

Post by leadtowine » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:47 pm

hmmm, great and interesting stuff. <BR>i love the internet. <BR>found this place searching for technical info on tape playheads - i figure, if you can make one that goes all the way round, like a flattened sphere, and then spin THAT, you could just hold it up against the tape and do some scratchin;- <BR> <BR>i have an old bbc akai stereo reel, i used to make loops and run em round bottles etc &#40;tone scientist&#41; but also crushing tape with yr hand is good... or just messing around with it, you can stretch it at precise points for eg, and lengthen a bass drum or something. <BR>the only delay i ever made was a mic in the room with the reel playing back the RECORDED tape, just a one step but fun freaking out visitors <BR> <BR>b6a6r6n <BR> <BR>roller, buyer, tobacco supplier

guillame

Tape echo simulators

Post by guillame » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:49 pm

you could just vary the voltage

Keith Evans

Tape echo simulators

Post by Keith Evans » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:14 pm

Please Help. <BR> <BR>I am totally new to tape echos and just purchased a Hohner tape echo in great condition but with no tape or spindle. I was told that Quantegy 642 tape would work but I have no idea how long the loop needs to be or even the proper way to install/route it. I saw from your postings that a few of you guys own one. Can you help me out? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance, <BR>Keith

nosro

Tape echo simulators

Post by nosro » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:55 pm

great read !!!! .. my dad has an old revox b77 . so guess what im gonna try out as soon as i get my hands on it .. i was looking for some tape echo .. hopefully ill be able to make one myself now .. thanks

DELETED

Tape echo simulators

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:15 am

DELETED

DELETED

Tape echo simulators

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:41 am

DELETED

DELETED

Tape echo simulators

Post by DELETED » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:02 pm

DELETED