Removing Spring Reverb from Solid State Amp

Moderator: interruptor

DeeDubStyle619

Removing Spring Reverb from Solid State Amp

Post by DeeDubStyle619 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi, I have a Crate GX2200H Solid State Head, that has a spring reverb unit in it. I want to remove the tank and use it as an effect send through a mixer.

Im sure I can figure out how to remove it, but is there anything else I must do to be able to run it through a mixer send track?

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:28 pm

In most cases the aux sends of your mixer won't be hot enough to drive the spring. you wouldn't directly drive a speaker from the aux send either. Therefore it is likely that you'll need a pre-amp between the mixer and the spring. Probably it would be easier to leave the spring tank inside the guitar amp and use that as pre-amp. If your amp has a line-out for recording you are set. otherwise you might consider miking it up, if noise is not a problem where you dub..

DeeDubStyle619

Post by DeeDubStyle619 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Thank you for the reply! So my amp has a "footswitch" output, 2 speaker outputs, and an "effects loop" line in and out.

Would any of these work? If so do I run the mixers fx send to the input of the amp, then the out from the amp to the return of the mixer, or to a channels input?

Thanks in advance

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 pm

If you are lucky the effect loop out contains the spring reverb . If not you can connect one of the speaker outs to a channel input of your mixer or the effects return. make sure you set the amp volume to minimum first and then raise the level slowly as far as needed.