KoCha's selfbuilt spring reverb

Moderator: interruptor

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:29 am

<FONT COLOR="ff0000">&#91;administration note: <BR>I moved the messages about Kocha's spring reverb in this new topic. Unfortunately the system crashed while doing so and the two messages where damaged. I had to reconstruct the next two messages from the fragments that were left, please let me know if there are mistakes! Sorry guys..&#93;</FONT>

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:31 am

Kocha! How did you manage to do your own spring reverb?

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:41 am

Hi Sam, Check this great web-site: <A HREF="http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/DIY/Gra ... .html">The Spring Thing</A> <BR> <BR><FONT COLOR="ff0000">&#91;rest of the message reconstructed from interruptors memory:</FONT> <BR> <BR>the following parts were used: <BR> <BR>- two speakers from a stereo system as transducers <BR>- spring from a cigarrette dispenser &#40;the one which brings the cigarrette packets to the front of the machine&#41; <BR>- Stereo-amplifier as preamp <BR> <BR>Now i need an eq because the reverb output has a lot of bass. <BR> <BR><FONT COLOR="ff0000">&#93;</FONT>
KoCha, reggae-dub producer

Almighty Dub Records - Independent Reggae Dub Production
Open Dub Foundation - The WorldWide Dub Meeting

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:47 am

why don't you use one channel of your mixer to bring the reverb into the mix instead of the effect return sockets? then you can eq as much as you want.. <BR> <BR>looking forward to hearing a mix with your new reverb once your finished with it. :-&#41;

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:02 am

They actually in to my mixing desk... but i have a 3 band PARAMETRIC eq... and it's not enough precise for the LOT of sub bass. <BR> <BR>I'm going to try this night to use my PC as an eq... why not ? &#40;in wait for an hardware eq&#41; <BR> <BR>Good reconstruction of message, no mistake :-&#41; <BR> <BR>Thx. <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.kocha.fr.st" TARGET="_top">KoCha</A>

munky lee

Post by munky lee » Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:38 pm

I took a spring reverb from an old guitar amp. <BR>I don't know what to use as preamp. because, when I plug it on my mixing desk, there is not enough signal. i see the spring dancing, but i can hardly hear the reverb...! <BR>do I need a preamp before the spring or after the spring?

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:32 am

that's quite strange munky.. if you can feel or even see the springs vibrating then the amplification on the input side of the spring should be sufficient. i assume your mixing desk is equiped with microphone preamps on each channel so this should be enough amplification as well. <BR>did the spring actually work when it was still inside the guitar amp? maybe something about your connection between the spring and the mixer inputs is not right?

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:53 am

Munky, <BR>If just connect the out of the spring to your mixer and shut the spring with your hand &#40;or touch the transcuder/speaker&#41; you must hear somethings. <BR> <BR>Inverse the in-out and re-try... <BR> <BR>PS: I have commanded a spring tank... because my spring from old bed sounds crappy. But all my connectic work with no amp &#40;but i have added an home-made amp with old computer-speaker on the input, because i have no amp on the aux-send of the mixer, but the return can be amp simply with the channel preamp on the mixer&#41; <BR> <BR>Jah bless, <BR><A HREF="http://www.kocha.fr.st" TARGET="_top">KoCha</A>

munky lee

Post by munky lee » Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:30 am

yeah, the spring is vibrating. <BR>I can hear the reverb, but it's much too low. the spring works! <BR>I need a pre-amp to plug between the output of the spring and my mixing desk. it seems that the signal level at the output of the spring is not enough... <BR> <BR>so, what do you think about a pre-amp? what kind of pre-amp? <BR> <BR>cheers,

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:45 am

about the preamp: dubcreator mentioned that a riaa turntable preamp can be used. check <A HREF="http://www.interruptor.ch/cgi-bin/discu ... html">this topic</A> <BR> <BR>or use a channel strip of your mixer as preamp. see <A HREF="http://www.interruptor.ch/cgi-bin/discu ... html">this topic</A> <BR> <BR>peace & love <BR>daniel

munky lee

Post by munky lee » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:24 pm

yes! <BR>I use an very bad old analog echo that I was not using anymore. I plug the output of the spring to the echo instrument input. and it works!, no buzz anymore.... perfect. <BR>the sound is pretty good after using the EQ of the channel of my desk. the reverb is a bit long, but to put on HH, snares, and guitars, it must be perfect!!! <BR> <BR>waow, nothing to compare with the emulation of spring reverbes like my TC Electronics M300.

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:30 pm

Hi munky lee, <BR>I think you just need a "line" to "mic" amp, you can found that in a lot of cheap audio electronic things. <BR> <BR>After that you can connect your spring reverb directly to the mixer and can mix separatly aux with echo and reverb. <BR> <BR>live dub mix power munkylee!! <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.kocha.fr.st" TARGET="_top">KoCha</A>

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:17 am

DELETED