Troubleshooting help with Spacexpander

Moderator: interruptor

Bassman

Troubleshooting help with Spacexpander

Post by Bassman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:54 am

Hello out there. I just picked up a Spacexpander and a Hammond Type IV tank separately. I've wired a control pot and retubed the Spacexpander. When I plug everything in, I can hear the springs , uh, sproing when I bang the tank. However, I'm not getting signal back other than hiss. IN fact, as I turn up the control pot, I get a feedback sort of sound. It seems that to be related to the tank, as when I unplug the tank, the 'feedback' stops. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Bassman

Post by Bassman » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:44 am

Never mind! Bone-head level issue on some patching on my part was the feedback issue. I resoldered the connections on the spring tank and viola! Killer extra-boingy spring reverb. Sounds killer!

I also have a Pioneer SR-202W, but it doesn't come close to the Spacexpander. The Pioneer is a much darker reverb (at least the on I have is...) and is fine for some alternate reverb sounds, but I can see the Fisher will be the workhorse for spring reverb vs digital reverb apps.

mace

Post by mace » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:55 pm

greetings,

i got my spacexpander a few month ago, but i took me some time to order the tubes and a potentiometer.
I tried to get it ready last week but i didnt get anything out of it....still,when i touch the tank i getting a fat spring noise.

i checked the input connections of the tank but didnt find any failure.
i was surprised that when i turn the control nob the summin and (very low) reverb gettin louder and by half of the turn it gettin lower.

i'm sure its the right potentiometer and its connected the right way!

anybody an idea?

thanks

mace