K-10 Rack mount

Moderator: interruptor

DonOneSound

K-10 Rack mount

Post by DonOneSound » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:19 pm

Greetings and manners. I have a K-10 that works well. I plan on doing a re-cap and anything else that needs to be done to get it back to factory fresh before putting it up for sale. I have three questions for the group:

1: I can install this unit in a rack mount chassis with connectors and an IEC power inlet and maybe a power switch with an indicator light. Would this be preferred or would you rather have the unit in its original 2-piece form factor? The chassis upgrade would increase the cost by ~$600

2. Would upgrading the tubes to NOS Telefunken be a desirable upgrade or stick with USA made RCAs (which is what I believe was originally in the unit)? The Tele's are not cheap and would increase the cost by ~$400.

3. Would adding a balanced output transformer be a desirable upgrade? This would increase the cost by ~$200

I think hard wiring this to "reverb only mode" makes sense. This mode is mono in and mono out. I will also disable (short) the volume knob so the unit is always outputting it's full voltage. This is the same has having the volume knob wide open. If i were going to keep it I would do all the above things for myself. We have an AKG BX20 and BX15 at the studio along with a few cool Orban spring verbs so I really don't need another one.

interruptor

Re: K-10 Rack mount

Post by interruptor » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:34 am

If your goal is to sell the unit anyway, I don’t think the mentioned modifications are worth it.
You’d hike up the price substantially while moving the design away from the original product.
Buyers who are interested in a vintage product in the first place would probably rather look for one in it’s original State.
Rack-mounting and more common in/out connections as well as the 100% wet mode make sense for many users of course. I feel most dubbers would rather opt for some DIY solution and use the 600$ (is that USD? :-o ) for some more gear instead.

Regarding the tube replacements and re-cap: I bought my unit some 20 odd years ago. Hoping to reduce the noise floor I took it to a music gear repair guy who had a look at it and asked me if I use it in a recording studio. He then said he’d rather not start tampering with it. Being mostly in the market for tube guitar amp repairs, he was concerned I might not like the result of changing components. I took the unit home and used it as-it-is ever since. :lol:

DonOneSound

Post by DonOneSound » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:57 pm

Thanks for your thoughts! If i'm keeping it original I wonder if re-making the volume pot/mute switch is a good idea? The unit I have does not have the control pot. Easy enough to make.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:35 pm

I was editing my post while you already replied..

I think you need to provide some solution for the missing pot since without it there would be no sound.
Either make a new one which is not difficult or at least provide a plug with a short circuit inside.