what is this sound effect??

Moderator: interruptor

Jahmuzz

what is this sound effect??

Post by Jahmuzz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:02 pm

hi this is jahmuzz im a musician but currently exploring DUB/Reggae-Sampling/Mixing and Controllers, just barely joined this forum.

I'm an avid DUB/Roots Reggae enthusiast and been a spectator of this forum for a long time.

I'm just curios on this particular sound effect.

Dubmatix - woobble weeble @ 00:12 mark there is a high pitch water drop sound.. would like to get some reference on how they created this particular effect? I know this particular sound were used on other dub tracks too.

any thoughts?

thank you!!

Artichoke Soundclash

Re: what is this sound effect??

Post by Artichoke Soundclash » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:38 pm

Hey jahmuzz,

is this the song?

"test oscillator" sweeping down in frequency.

in this video the guy use a "test osc" to enhance bass, but you can pick your start, & end frequencies, also sweep duration.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:08 pm

Electronic percussion sounds like this were popular in the late 70s. Sometimes they are refered to as "disco toms". For dub heads a device called "Synare" is popular, which can do sounds like in the track you mentioned and far crazyer stuff too.

See this video starting at 05:48

Jahmuzz

Post by Jahmuzz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:35 pm

Big UP's to Artichoke Soundclash & Interruptor, Thank you for your response. Definitely will try this out.. :-) :-) :-)

these are my previous experiments :
Sound System DUB

Them Belly Full - Dub Marley Cover

Artichoke Soundclash

Post by Artichoke Soundclash » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:28 pm

Hey Jahmuzz,

just saw your videos, big up the live jams. keep posting

if you mess around with the test oscilator, and you know the key of your song. you can pitch your sweep to the song.

say at bar 8 beat 1, you want your sweep to begin, the song at bar 8 beat 1, bass note is d1. so you might say okay, my sweep will start on note d3, to mirror bass.

Then if at bar 9 beat 1. you want the sweep to end, the bass is on say c2,
you may want your sweep ending, i dunno, say crazy c7. or a note below, your ear will decide!

With test oscilator you input in hertz, so you need to convert from piano notes with this table.

with experiment you will get amazing results

best