Lee Perry jazzy bend sound

Moderator: interruptor

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:11 pm

I've recently bought my first lead guitar for chops &#40;I've been playing bass for years&#41;. <BR> <BR>Anyway, this has lead me to listen more precisely to guitar in dub, the most interesting for me being the guitar on many of Lee Perry's tracks. I know he is supposed to have used a Mutron bi-phase and obviously the phasing is a big part of the sound. <BR>But also on many of the tracks on which the guitar plays licks &#40;I think I use the word correctly- I mean single note melodic phrases&#41;, often with a slightly jazzy tinge &#40;I wonder if it was Ernest Ranglin playing on the ones I'm thinking of&#41; as well as chops, the licks are 'bent' and shaped - I think it might be the use of a wah pedal, but I'm not sure, its doing the same sort of thing as a wah, but it doesn't sound quite the same, certainly I don't think its only wah going on if there is any wah at all. I know the bi-phase had a foot controller pedal available for it - I wonder if it was the use of one of these with the bi-phase that achieved the sound. <BR>Any thoughts?

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:27 am

can you name some tunes? this would help to understand what you mean.

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:56 am

Well, perhaps listening again, it is just the phaser. But as an example the begining of Fisherman by the Congos, before the first lyrics, has a bit of what I'm talking about. Its quite subtle, but theres a single note that has lots of movement in it &#40;after the yaow vocals but before the first 'row'&#41;, that is moving at a different pace to the phase sweep on the chucks. Although I think the sweep rate is often modulated as the track goes on because it seems to me some consecutive chucks have the same tone, whereas some consecutive chucks are shifting as you would expect. Perhaps its just a bit of string vibrato. <BR>There are some other examples in the track. <BR> <BR>And if you have the Bring the Mackaback mix of Fisherman the guitar is a bit higher on that version - lots of clear classic effects in that version. <BR> <BR>Also, at the start of Dub Revolution part 1 &#40;Upsetters&#41;, there's a wah-like effect, is that just the phaser? <BR>Also in Sufferer's Time by the Heptones the guitar is making laser zappy-like sounds, is that the phaser, and if so is there anything other than a bi-phase that can do this sound? <BR> <BR>I've tried using some vst plug-in phasers but I can't get these sorts of sounds. I've never used a hardware phaser.

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:53 pm

To answer my own question here: <BR> <BR>I've just got an old analogue Morley pro-phaser which has a built in foot pedal. There is a mode where you can use the pedal to modulate the sweep frequency and there is mode where there is no auto-sweep but instead the pedal controls the tone &#40;I presume by changing the notch position&#41;. Anyhow this sounds very much like the tone bends I was talking about above, and so I think, the effects I was talking about were very probably happening as a result of the foot pedal being used with the bi-phase. <BR>By the way, the Morley is great - not the thick lushness of a bi-phase, but very good nonetheless.

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:59 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:57 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:23 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:30 am

DELETED

JahNice

Morley Pro Phaser

Post by JahNice » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:33 pm

Hey Neil C, i got the same phaser unit..
And i really love this Morley Pro Phaser, its very warm,
the controls on this are great and you can get alot of variety of effects.
It can be used on many things..
Like on a bubblin organ sound with the auto foot on very fast
(it can make even digital vsti sound like really vintage organ), on the
offbeat piano bangs with auto foot on slow, its great for guitars offcourse,
and it works great on almost any lead sound like synthesizer or organ or
melodica or anything else.. Also great for dub sessions, just connect to
send + return of your mixing console and Dub it!! 8-)