Description of Lee Perry's phaser

Moderator: interruptor

Neil C

Description of Lee Perry's phaser

Post by Neil C » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:20 pm

I'm reading People Funny Boy - the David Katz biography of Lee Pee at the moment. This is what it says about Perry's phaser:
'While passing through New York on his last business trip of 1975, Perry had come across a demonstration model of a Mutron phaser effects unit that had not yet been issued on the market; somewhat similar to the later Mutron Bi-Phase, the Mutron Super Phasing model seems never to have reached the actual production stage.'

So it seems that exact Black Ark phaser sound was truly unique.

overstand

Post by overstand » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:43 pm

See Audio Damage Phase 2 VST for a plugin simulator:

http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD008

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:02 pm

Yes, from the demo clips that VST does seem good. It's modelled I guess on the production bi-phase (although going by those demo clips it's not quite as nice as the real thing). I won't be ditching my proudly owned real (purple!) bi-phase for it.

overstand

Post by overstand » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:36 pm

Nice 1 Neil. If you have the real thing then im sure its gonna be hard to use anything else! Is the purple one somehow different to the blue one? just out of curiosity, did u have to pay big bucks for it or do things still turn up in random for sale ads where people dont know the value of them?

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:17 pm

From what I undertsand - an early batch of Bi-Phases were painted purple by mistake but they released them anyway. In lower light the purple looks evry similar to the correct blue, you can understand how the mistake may have happened. Anyway being purple just means it was an earlier unit, and like vintage things like this, early often is more valued (changes can occur to the exact components and build quality in the production life of a model and in an analogue unit those can make a difference) - I don't know if an earlier bi-phase does sound any better.
I got mine from e-bay for about £300. Mine is cosmetically very battered which may have kept the price down.