Question about VST plugins

Moderator: interruptor

Richmo

Question about VST plugins

Post by Richmo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:21 am

Hey everyone. Off to a good start in my dub adventures, and I'm trying to move forward with my learning. These are probably pretty simple questions, but I couldn't find any other threads about them.

I think I get what VST's are. They're just effects applied to the track right? So is there a way I can send a VST effect from my computer to my mixer and apply it like an outboard effect. Does that make sense.

Also, after you've downloaded a VST plugin, how do I add it to my list of effects in Logic? I use a mac, if that makes a difference.

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:22 pm

VST ('Virtual Studio Technology') is just Steinberg's name for the plug ins developed for Cubase - many other DAWS, like Logic, can use this format now. Cubase used to be called Cubase VST.
VST's are plug ins - and plug ins can be effects, instruments or processing or utilities of other kinds.

If you want VSTs to work on your Mac they must be OSX VSTs - VTSs made for Windows won't work in OSX and vice versa.
Most VST installers will install them in the correct place. I think the VST itself goes in Library/Audio/Plug Ins/VST and depending on the VST they may put bits of themselves in other folders too.

You could use an effects send/return on you mixer and use you plug in effects just as you would an outboard effects unit - it would in effect be you computer acting as the effects unit.
You will need a multi channel interface if you want to do mutli channel dubbing on your desk. But if you want to route the normal audio through a channel from your computer and the effect seperately for each channel this might use up a lot of channels.

If you wanted to use your computer as an effects rack you would have to create a sperate track in your DAW for each effect and set that effect to 100% wet if you were adjusting the mix of it on your mixer.
You could use a MIDI control surface if you want to adjust effects - you then wouldn't have to use as many channels on your interface.

Richmo

Post by Richmo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:14 am

Cool! Thanks Neil! Alot of good info there. Told me everything I needed to know.

Man these archives are great! I spend hours just going back through all these old threads. There's no other resource like this anywhere else.

BIG UP to INTERRUPTER & all the DUB MASSIVE here!!!!