monitors - nearfield

Moderator: interruptor

d_u_bios

monitors - nearfield

Post by d_u_bios » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:23 pm

yo big up everybody. i've benn using since ever analog speakers to produce with..since i do some electronic dub, i dlike to know what kind of speakers you would suggest best buy. something which goes well, genelecs are too clear to mee, meaning nearly unreal for an endmix...anyhow looking forward to your suggestions.

money i dlike to spend: 700-1200chf ( i would go even with second hand speakers) :)

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:35 pm

Hello,

What do you mean by analog speakers?
All speakers are 'analog'. Even if the speaker has a digital input that digital signal has to be converted into an analog one.

The point of a main studio monitor is to be clear.
You want a mix that will translate well to other systems - not sound good only on your speakers (unless your music will only ever be played through your speakers).

How low down to you want to hear?

Is your room acoustically treated? Spending a lot of money on speakers is a waste of money if you have bad acoustics.

d_u_bios

Post by d_u_bios » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:41 am

neil, hihihi, i have to laugh about myself..analog speakers...i ment they are not active ones. the current standard on studio monitors is active (all amps. built in).

no my "home"-studio is just a seperate 11m2 room, nothing special...tones of records and table and gear. i know that the point of clear, but genelecs are quite agressive to me.

how low i want to hear: as good that i can hear my frickling bass on these and on other systems (hifi and club...). i play sometimes in clubs mixed dj-ing with my own tracks...thanks to ableton/apc40.

i thought where nearly nothing goes wrong on:
yamaha MSP 5 Studio / Yamaha HS 80M

but i guess there are others out there..which dub producers are using.

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:44 pm

The HS 80 are styled to some extent after the NS10 - and that is one of the most forward sounding speakers in common use ever - so if you don't like aggressive I think they may not be for you.
Apparently the MSP 5 are quite aggressive too.

There are loads of monitors available and I expect dub producers use all kinds of models, no particular ones.

There's nothing wrong using passive speakers - but only if you have a good amp to drive them with.
In fact many people would better off getting a good second hand amp (you don't need to be spending more that £100 here) and buying passive speakers - passives are a lot cheaper and the seperate good amp may be better than the amps in cheaper actives.

I like my Blue Sky Media Desk (which has a sub) - but adding more bass will potentially cause more problems in an untreated room.

Of course, it would be best if you could go and listen to a variety of monitors in a shop or somewhere (and better still hear them in your own room, often retaliers will lend people monitors out for trial for bigger budgets, but for lower budgets you may not be able to do this,).
Last edited by Neil C on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d_u_bios

Post by d_u_bios » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:51 pm

cheers, funny i think the yamaha ones tight, but not relaxed one some way