Classic dub delay technique...HELP!

Moderator: interruptor

Sorin

Post by Sorin » Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:27 pm

Hi <BR> <BR>I'm very sorry, I posted this message in the wrong section &#40;MIXERS&#41;. Should have probably been here. My apologies. <BR> <BR>I went through all the previous posts but I could not find exactly what I was looking for &#40;i.e. info on feeding back a delay unit in the mixer on a separate channel&#41;. Concerned gear: Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro &#43; Boss Digital Delay DE-200. <BR> <BR>I'm trying to get that beautiful delay feedback howl that sounds so beautiful but I think I'm missing some piece of info... <BR> <BR>Situation: digital delay patched in AUX 1, vocals on channel 1, delay return signal on channel 2. <BR> <BR>This is my understanding of the technique: <BR> <BR>1&#41; On channel 1 &#40;the vocals&#41;, I presume I must have the AUX 1 SEND pot pan active, right &#40;12 o'clock for a nice dose&#41;? <BR> <BR>2&#41; Same thing on channel 2 &#40;the delay return signal&#41; ? Does this make sense: sending a dose of AUX 1 &#40;the delay signal&#41; into this channel? It is also here that you ride the fader and play with the EQ/pan knobs, right? <BR> <BR>3&#41; In the AUX RETURN section I should have the AUX RETURN 1 pot pan active &#40;the delay unit&#41;, let's say 12 o'clock as the manual recommends? <BR> <BR>CONCLUSION: There are 3 critical areas: <BR> <BR>-AUX SEND 1 active on ch 1 &#40;vocal&#41; <BR>-AUX SEND 1 active on ch 2 &#40;delay return signal&#41; <BR>-AUX RETURN 1 active &#40;the delay unit&#41; <BR> <BR>Is this correct? <BR> <BR>I managed to get a howl but after an hour or so of fiddling it disappeared! I tried restarting the delay unit &#40;thinking it might be some kind of digital overload&#41; but it didn't help. Is it because it isn't an ANALOG delay unit??? If so, is there a big difference in the sound of the produced effect? <BR> <BR>Trying to understand how it works... Thank you! <BR> <BR>Sorin <BR>Quebec, Canada

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:05 pm

Hi man, <BR>Try to ajust the feedback on the delay unit... there is knob or button ? <BR>I have the same technics but for make my snare crasching in this infinite loop &#40;see crashing dsp reverb in reverb section&#41; <BR> <BR>The sounds you want to have is for sure the old sound, and it's can be down only with analogue device... you can find tape delay on ebay. <BR> <BR>See you <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.kocha.fr.st" TARGET="_top">KoCha</A> <BR>Dub Master Beginner
KoCha, reggae-dub producer

Almighty Dub Records - Independent Reggae Dub Production
Open Dub Foundation - The WorldWide Dub Meeting

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:27 am

Sorin: <BR> <BR>1&#41; correct. <BR>2&#41; correct. <BR>3&#41; i am not sure what you actually mean here. if you connect "aux send 1" of your desk to the input of the echo unit and the output of the echo unit to the mixer input channel 2 you don't need the effect return section of your mixer at all! <BR> <BR>the delay unit's own feedback control can be set to zero &#40;no internal feedback&#41;. you control the amount of feedback via the aux send1 pot of your mixer channel 2. <BR> <BR>if you have a tape deck which allows to monitor the recorded signal while recording it you can even connect this between the aux send of your mixer and the delay unit. this way you get a real tape delay.. &#40;see my description in <A HREF="http://www.interruptor.ch/cgi-bin/discu ... html">this topic</A> for more details and a figure&#41; <BR> <BR>greetings <BR>the interruptor

Sorin

Post by Sorin » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:47 pm

Greetings to you, Interruptor! <BR> <BR>Ok, I get it!!! Ah, what a splendid explanation. I will try this tonight for sure! <BR> <BR>And I am very intrigued by your real tape delay system; I will check tonight, maybe my TECHNICS tape deck has the r-a-w function? <BR> <BR>Thanks again. <BR> <BR>Sorin

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:58 am

Sorin, <BR>If on the back you have a "monitor-out" its for sure a r-a-w tape deck. <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.kocha.fr.st" TARGET="_top">KoCha</A>
KoCha, reggae-dub producer

Almighty Dub Records - Independent Reggae Dub Production
Open Dub Foundation - The WorldWide Dub Meeting

Sata Weeva

Post by Sata Weeva » Fri Oct 18, 2002 2:38 pm

I don't want to restart the anologue v digital debate but a digital delay will do for infinite delay. As you keep fedding it thru the loop &#40;mixer - delay - mixer...&#41; <BR> <BR>Try setting the Return's Send to just below infinite feedback and use the EQ's to send it over the edge. <BR> <BR> Peace, Love and Respect.

Sorin

Post by Sorin » Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:51 pm

Thank you both, KoCha and Sata, for these tips and valuable bits of info!!! <BR> <BR>Sorin

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:07 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:31 pm

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:32 pm

DELETED