Question from the Confused: Multitrack Recording

Moderator: interruptor

Looter

Post by Looter » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:53 am

I mix down to my computer, so that's mainly where digital comes into place in my studio. I like being able to polish my mixes with Sound Forge. But, I am thinking of getting a half-track reel machine because computers can get viri or have a number of other problems crop up. Right now, my backup mixdown deck is a vcr. <BR> <BR>This is my main complaint about DAWs. Menus, etc.. Mixing with a mouse? I mean, come on! This is not dubwise. And if your HD crashes you loose the whole song. <BR> <BR>Editing capability is much better with digital I agree. I just think digital was made for the new "manufactured" music you hear on pop radio today. Everything's so perfect sounding its unnatural, the artists dont need much talent--that can all be "fixed in the mix." <BR> <BR>I'll stop now, because I really don't want to just start up the great analog vs. digital debate again. Both methods of multitracking have their merits and it's all just personal preference. <BR> <BR>And Mike Zee, 24 tracks isn't enough?? Try working with four! You really have to plan things to maximize your productions with a limited number of tracks. IMHO, you learn some skills this way that carry over when you move up to more tracks/larger format.

HM

Post by HM » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:12 pm

>> Mixing with a mouse? <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/artikel-160144.html" TARGET="_top">http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/artikel-160144.html</A> <BR> <BR>>> Everything's so "perfect" <BR> <BR>That&acute;s about how to use or abuse technology <BR> <BR>>> if HD crashes you loose the whole song. <BR> <BR>Use raid-configuration and prober back-up <BR>many old tapes are so rotten that remixes <BR>can&acute;t be done, this can be avoidet by HD <BR>and regular re-burns to cd-rom, easy put <BR>copyes in several location as well in case <BR>of fire-damage, things getting stolen etc. <BR> <BR>>> Both methods have their merits <BR> <BR>As for tape-sound steinberg gives the <BR>choise to record in "true-tape" mode to <BR>emulate the behaviour of analog tape, I <BR>think I would prefer it clean still :-&#41; <BR> <BR>Dub does not HAVE to be noisy to be good <BR> <BR>HM

Looterlabs

Post by Looterlabs » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:08 pm

HM: I didn't say anything about dub having to be noisy.. In fact, my analog recorder is quite quiet, with my spring reverbs and tape echos generating the most noise. <BR> <BR>And I hate it when people try to emulate the harmonic distortions of analog tape with plugins. Don't try to make your recordings something they're not! <BR> <BR>PS: Even if you do buy one of these "control surfaces" to mix with, youre still at the mercy of menus and the speed of your computer. Analog you twist the knob, you get instant results.

HM

Post by HM » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:44 pm

>> Even if you do buy these "control surfaces" <BR> <BR>Yes seen, still better than a mouse :-&#41; <BR> <BR>>> hate when people try emulate the harmonic <BR> <BR>I don&acute;t use it, but think that "anything is <BR>allowed", especially dubwise, I&acute;m no purist <BR>&#40;still respect your point also&#41; <BR> <BR>>> Don't make recordings some they're not! <BR> <BR>I share your passion for hardware spring, <BR>and tape-echo, when I put spring on the <BR>snare I make it some-thing it&acute;s not ;-&#41; <BR> <BR>>> Analog twist knob, instant results. <BR> <BR>Yes, as for me , both world&acute;s facinates me, <BR>and go well hand in hand I think, the human <BR>spirit and brain behind matters most, and <BR>make the tool&acute;s,..... well just tools <BR> <BR>One thing I do prior more and more as I age <BR>is the "real" instruments, conga, melodica, <BR>piano, bas, even a old drumset is being <BR>restored for the studio now, I thought that <BR>I would hit towards vsti&acute;s, and 90 pct prog- <BR>ramming, but my dream today is to dub live <BR>sessions,... digital recorded,... he he <BR> <BR>I would not start a ana/dig war, just add a <BR>few aspects,. just upraded my desk, hope to <BR>tweak it besides the software, RME9652 with <BR>cubase 16 I/O&acute;s so lots of sends to space- <BR>echo and other nice outboard, hand in hand <BR> <BR>peace <BR> <BR>HM

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:24 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:42 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:54 am

DELETED