Repairing Inputs and outputs..

Moderator: interruptor

studio dread

Repairing Inputs and outputs..

Post by studio dread » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:53 pm

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help me out with this..

Sometimes some of the inputs on my desk stop sending signal through but then if I turn the channel volume up it will spring back into life.
Could this be worn out sockets or dirt or what?

Im taking the desk apart soon to clean it and do other repairs but i haven't encountered this problem before and wouldn't have thought a loose connection would come back to life when the volume is turned up?

I also have some outputs cut the signal out but come back to life when wobbling the jacks around.. Pretty sure i can fix this by re soldering.

Any Advice would be greatly apretiated

Thanks

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:26 am

Hi
I had that same problem with a normal hifi amplifer. Well I thought I had that problem, because I went to the repair center to get it fixed. It turned out that the strange behaviour (no signal at low volumes, signal "breaks through" at higher volume) could not be reproduced by the repair person. I went home and the problem persisted. I assume now it must be the speakers not the amp.
In fact I could really imagine that a bad contact can cause such a problem: If no current can flow due to the bad contact, increasing the voltage (by turning up the volume) could cause a breakdown of the unwanted isolation thus creating a new path for the current.
I found a thread on a hifi forum where a user complains about the same problem and is advised to clean all contacts and replace/clean relays along the signal path. check the discussion here..

Hope this helps..
If you find a solution I would be very interested to hear what you had to do :-)

studio dread

Post by studio dread » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:28 am

Well I've got my desk set up again. I didn't replace any parts in the end..
I opened the desk up and cleaned all the insides with compressed air and cleaned all the pots and faders with switch cleaning fluid.
I made sure all the inputs had a good blast with the air.

This has mostly solved the problem as well as making the pots smoother to turn. All Inputs are working fine at the moment (touch wood) except for 1 which has cut out a couple of times..

I guess it shows the difference a good clean can make to things!