help choosing mixer

Moderator: interruptor

bartillier

help choosing mixer

Post by bartillier » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi!

I'm new to this forum, and when it comes to dub I'm a novice. But i have been reading a couple of times. The thing is, my and my friends started a 5 member dub band, we are a drummer, a guitarist, a bass player, a synth player and me. I'm supposed to be doing all of the sound effects and little doodads that make up dub... The thing is, I want to also control the sound effects for the drummer, (he has his own Roland SPD but is using it for different drums - African and oriental and so on) so I'm thinking on buying a mixer and a couple of microphones for the drum effects. I'm thinking snare, crash and hat.

ANYWAY

I need help choosing a mixer, and I've been looking at the Peavey PV 10.
Does anybody have any experience with this mixer, and even if you dont tell me what you think about it :)

here's a link: http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.c ... %AE+10.cfm

_M_A_N_A_D_U_B_

Post by _M_A_N_A_D_U_B_ » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:47 pm

What gear do you have already? Are you totally starting from scratch?

Depending on how much gear you arlready have or don't have, I would get a mixer with more bussing options, like more aux sends or mix busses. Something like this:

http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/1222FX.aspx

or:

http://www.behringer.de/EN/images/light ... nt_XXL.jpg

I love how these mixers give you more bussing options, with some of them putting the aux send and returns on faders with mute switches. If this your dubbing instrument, you want something similar with as many muting, bussing, and filtering options as possible. That Peavey mixer would be great for podcasting or a 3 piece rock band rehearsal, but not for any serious dubwise mixing. I'd also avoid getting anything with internal fx that you can't assign it's return to a channel strip, in other words...don't buy a mixer with built fx unless you don't have a choice, save your money for pedals.

Anyway, what do you already have?

bartillier

Post by bartillier » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Hey, now that I've read your reply it does make sense that the berhinger is a much better mixer for dub. And its funny that you mentioned that a mixer with built in fx is not good, because yesterday i tried a mixer with built in fx and came to the same conclusion :) But I have this opinion towards berhringer equipment that while it sounds and works great usualy its lifetime is very short as in Behringer stuff breaks down all the time. Is this also true for their mixers?

otherwise i use a laptop with ableton live and an axiom 49 midi controler for some sampling and sound effects. I also have a line 6 dl4, a line 6 Echo Park pedal (which i extremely like), a line 6 Verbzila, and the Roland SDE 330

so im thinking about buying some mics and do the effects for the drums as well. and then build my mixing knowledge from that :)

anyway let me know what you think about the behringer durability thing

bartillier

Post by bartillier » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:23 pm

hey i found a guy who can sell me this mixer

http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/UB1832FX.aspx

for 120€

what do you think?

I-TalSound

Post by I-TalSound » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:45 pm

Greetings.

This Bus routing option looks nice for such a small mixer.

Before you buy a desk you should always try to get your hands on it.
You feel the faders moving and you can test if there's enough space beetween the knobs for turning the eq for example.

A mixers that's great in a recording studio might be not the best one for dub...

I got a similiar sized mixer for myself a few month ago. Its a soundcraft sprit e12. 160€ used but in good condition.
The reason why I chose this model are the very smooth gliding 100mm faders :-)
Now I could never imagine going back to hardly sliding and small 60mm ones...

bartillier

Post by bartillier » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:04 pm

okay very nice thank you!

but i have to say i was wrong when i said i understand busing can anyone explain what that is?