How do I hook up a mixingdesk to my computer?

Moderator: interruptor

HelloMellow

How do I hook up a mixingdesk to my computer?

Post by HelloMellow » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi.
I just bought a Fireface 800 soundcard, and I've seen lots of people using an analogue mixingdesk with the computer, how do you set something like that up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MorP_bYYHVg <-- this is an example.

Can you give me some examples on how do do it and how it works?
Keep it Mellow!

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:29 pm

The Fireface 800 is the right category of interface to do this with (multi-channel interface).
The tracks in your DAW will show all the outputs available to you (if you want to see them). If you have your DAW set up correctly you will see on each audio track all the 8 analogue outputs plus the digital ones too if you want them.
You then assign your DAW track to come out of what output you want it to come out of. You take a cable from that corresponding physical output (if analogue) to the input you want it to go on your mixer.
If your mixer has a suitable digital input/s you may be able to up your track count - with the correct digital connections it looks like the Fireface can handle 16 digital channels plus the analogue ones.
You can then send the mixer output back into the DAW and record the mix there if you want to.

If you want to adjust plug in effect amounts from the desk then you may be using up more interface channels (not so if you are using outboard effects as in the video). You will need a suitably specified desk (with multiple effect send/return channels).
Depending on your desk and other equipment there are all sorts of ways you might route signals.

It's worth mentioning that you don't need control of every track in your DAW mix on your desk - Perry only had 4 tracks to dub with.