Vintage Brazilian Console!

Moderator: interruptor

MaurinhoDUB)))

Vintage Brazilian Console!

Post by MaurinhoDUB))) » Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 am

Hello and Big up Dub Heads!!!

I've been planing on sharing this with you guy's for a while but I as with no camera!

I have it since november of last year but I did not post anything due to lack of camera but hear it is!

It's an analog mixer from the late 70's/Early 80's by a company named Voxman.

I took her on a gig once and a guy told me this about it:
"Voxman was a company trying to make pro audio equip in the 70's using only brazilian technology,and when they started to make mixers the only way of making "pro" brazilian gear was by making all the conections with gold!Thus they were very very very expensive to make and to buy at the time, so eventually the company broke!"

I bought it super cheap so,it was kind a scrathed and missing a pot but it is working fine and has a KILLER sound!Awsome trebles,and phaat bass!
Pros: 16ch In and Out, 3 aux,Eq on master
Con: it does not have phantom power that means no XLR conections all though i've seen a model that has!

I will try to make a video of me using it later!

I was wondering does any one any where has a "native" equipment??(besides american,british,japonese and classic brands...)let's make a topic! I also have a 70's brazilian spring reverb! I will put it here later!

sorry for the english mistypes!

Peace and One Love to all!
Mauro

I intruduce My Vintage Analog Brazilian desk! :-)
Attachments
vintage brazilian.jpg
vintage brazilian.jpg (79.17 KiB) Viewed 24193 times

JahNice

Post by JahNice » Thu May 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Greetinx Mauro! This looks great and sounds very interesting the way you
describe it! Thanx for sharing it! the gold story sounds wicked. Have you
opened it??? can you confirm the legend about connections with gold???
Would like to hear this in a dub performance if you get the chance! the 70s
brazillian spring reverb is it also from the same company?

:largeup:

Yiannis

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Thu May 20, 2010 8:48 pm

yep! nice piece of gear, good space between the knobs and channels, thats a good point for dubbin'. what are the switchs (yellow ,grey,blue)? pre/post for aux? there is just bass and treble knob for each channel?
i'm sure its a good stuff , brazil has music and rythm in the blood since loooonnnng time! and where the musicians are, the technicians are too! the gold inside means that it was build with a voluntad(?) of sound quality and precision. (or maybe there was so much gold in brazil that gold was cheaper than iron! 8-) )
I hope you found here YOUR Mixer!
Peace.
Manu

MaurinhoDUB)))

Post by MaurinhoDUB))) » Fri May 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Thx alot for the reply guys! :D
Respcet!

The yellow,blue and white buttons are : Yellow is in aux send,the white send the signal to the master,and the blue one to the headphones!
all knobs in the channels are like this : Hi.Mid,Low,Echo,Foldback(?) and Pan.
The foldback is really strange,I have no idea what a foldback function is,I use it as a aux send for reverb.Have you seen this function before?

Yiannis:The reverb I have isnt from the same brand,it's another one called Gradiente,One thing I know about it I know that Gradiente bought Garrard in the mid 80's
Usually in flea markets in Brazil you might find a Gradiente-Garrard turntable here!

I guess I've never oppened it to check the gold story but I will eventually!

once again big thx for the replies!

Peace! :respect:

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Sat May 22, 2010 8:41 am

On a lot of vintage mixers, the aux are called echo and foldback, i think one is pre-fader and the other post-fader. the foldback was used to send signal to the wedges on stage. Later they called it Aux.
So you got 2 aux with knobs send and one with a switch send, a kind of bus. interesting routing; basic but interesting.
The gradient is more like sansui or pionner hifi reverbs no?