your track layout

Moderator: interruptor

stranded horse

your track layout

Post by stranded horse » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:50 pm

what is your track layout on your mixer? I hope it's not a big secret. I play in a live dub band, and at the moment I'm unsure if I we need the extra channel for the hi hat, but then again I wasn't succesful yet micing it so I get snare and high hat with one microphone.
We use an Fostex 8 Channel Mixer, as that is sufficient for us.
1: Kick Drum
2: Snare
3: Hi Hat
4: Bass
5: Melodica + Percussions which are done with the same mic by the same guy (and the Siren I'm going to build I want to rout to this channel too)
6: broken
7: broken (when channels 6 and 7 work again I want to use them live for guitar and organ, but as they have separate amps, we do not need that for rehearsals)
8: rewired Delay Send

I'm interested to see other track layouts, or to read some tips for improvement of mine. I'd also be glad to read some tips on EQing and other processing like compression. I'm thinking about buying a 2 channel compressor for bass and kick, which could then be sidechained, though I dont know if thats a good idea.

cheers,
Franz

Zutao

Post by Zutao » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:46 am

May I suggest repairing the broken channels on the mixer. Then you can separate out the frequency bandwidths for melodica, voice, siren, etc.

DeeDubStyle619

Post by DeeDubStyle619 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:29 am

Hey man I know this is an old post, but I thought it was a good question to answer. Right now I got a hand me down 10ch Yamaha mixer. Here's my typical set up for a live performance.
1)Lead Vocals
2)Back up Vocals
3)Snare Drum
4)Keyboard
5)Synth
Aux) Reverb/Delay
Bass runs through its own amp
Guitar runs through its own amp with its own effects

DeeDubStyle619

Post by DeeDubStyle619 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:39 am

oh yea, when it comes to eq, I like to use the technique called sweeping. Finding the frequencies you don't like and removing them, leaves the ones you do like. I like the bass to be in the lowest range, then the kick drum a little above it, so they have different frequencies. I boost the highs a little on the kick, to get that clicky kick drum song, sounds like its triggered.
If your mixer has a good EQ, I dont think a compressor is necessary, someone correct me if wrong.
Danny