Korg EA1 Electribe to Dub Siren

Moderator: interruptor

Meshak

Korg EA1 Electribe to Dub Siren

Post by Meshak » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:07 am

Firstly may I say, Big Respect in all aspect! I have been learning alot looking over your posts. Ipersonally have no experience building any sirens, but am trying to learn as much as possible. I see that basically you have a chip for sound, trigger, and oscillators. I know I am probably leaving alot out but....
Here is a question. Please pardon my ignorance.

I have a Korg EA1 electribe and I was thinking that maybe I could bend it someway to use as a dub siren? It has 2 oscillators and wave length options for both. Maybe potentially a tuff tuff siren?

Once again, please excuse my ignorance, but I am just trying to consider my options. Thanks and Bless!

JEREMIAH 50:14

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:50 pm

hi,
if you don't have any experience in electronic, you should experiment with a cheaper circuit than the electribe... it's an high voltage and bending suppose to test the circuit with the power on! carefull man! for you and your electribe...
but the idea is good! there is surely a way to make a killer siren with this machine!
i personaly wouldn't do that....
respect.
Manu

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:09 pm

I had a quick look at the electribe ea1 manual .
Two thoughts:

Like many of today's synths this machine is a digital synthesizer emulating analogue sounds. This means that all sound is actually generated inside computerlike circuits maybe even in pure software and then converted to an analogue signal in the last step. On the hardware side the machine isn't therefore all that different from other digital noise makers like CD-players, MP3-players (apart from the user interface of course). Therefore I think it does not make a lot of sense to start circuit bending on this thing. Particularly because..

The EA-1 is actually far more than a simple dub siren. Looking at the user manual I got the impression that it should be possible to program this thing to sound like a dub siren just using the normal user interface without any potentially damaging manipulations:
a) Use the synth section to generate a simple waveform from one oscillator
b) on a normal synth you would use a LFO (low frequency oscillator) to modulate the frequency of your main oscillator thus creating the typical siren sweeps. The ea-1 has no LFOs but it has a step sequencer. So it should be possible to do the following:
Use the step sequencer to create siren like patterns like for example two alternating notes.
c) Make use of the portamento control. Set it to low values to jump directly from one pitch to the next. If you crank up the portamento knob you will get smooth glides from one note to the next which is played by the step sequencer.
d) As said above the ea-1 can do far more than a dub siren so just try around with the additional features (second oscillator, oscillator modulation, effects,..). You might come up with your own crazy sounds thus going beyond just copying what has been done by others in the past!

Hope that helps :ganjabounce:
Attachments
Korg_EA1.jpg
Korg_EA1.jpg (40.01 KiB) Viewed 32184 times

Meshak

Post by Meshak » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 pm

WHOA!!

Been awhile since ive checked on this, but THANK YOU King!

Yes man, creativity is what its about. I really appreciate this and I am surprised that it hasnt dawned on me yet to do this.

Thanks again INTERRUPTOR

Jeremiah 50:14

:D Peace and Respect :D