Dub Meets Distortion

Moderator: interruptor

slacknote

Dub Meets Distortion

Post by slacknote » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:54 pm

A new track, 'Dub Meets Distortion'
http://www.myspace.com/slacknote

Please let me know what you think.
Criticism is more than welcome, please don't be shy.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:36 pm

There is a lot of musical potential here without any doubt. I like the crazy beat programming as well as the uplifting bass playing which is rooted more in a european than a carribean/african tradition (particularly with that nice bridge).

Regarding the mix I am not so sure whether you found the perfect balance yet. The bass which is the main melodic instrument would sound better if it wasn't buried that much by the drums/percussion (gated reverb on snare with distortion?). You could try to accentuate the high frequencies of the bass by EQing and carving out a frequency range for this on the drum/percussion track using a EQ with contrary setting.
A possible approach might also be to restrain the distorted snare reverb to certain portions of the tune. Or even to create the distortion from the bass line itself not from the snare. Or double the bass line with a muted and amped guitar.
Another thought I have is that the trombone is buried a lot under the drums and it's own reverb which seems too loud to me.

Maybe if you try these things you will actually loose the vibe you had in mind originally. You are innovative here by trying out an unusual combination of styles. The difficulties in finding a good balance are just the cost for trodding off the beaten track I guess..

regards
Interruptor