Mr, Mischief - New Dub

Moderator: interruptor

stylesforfree

Mr, Mischief - New Dub

Post by stylesforfree » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:51 pm

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ywdxzl

minimal dub with some orchestral sounds.

all made in a tracker with a bunch of free VST's

Klaus5

Post by Klaus5 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Nice! To be honest, at first i wasnt digging the horns/orchestra bit, but the drum pattern kept me listening, then i really began to get it! Its pretty far out from my usual listening but i like the eerieness which seems to transform into happiness by the end.

I was messing around with an orchestra style dub a while back in Reason but it was more traditional reggae style with a string group doing a horns riff and short violin stabs doing the skank/organ bubble type thing.

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:22 am

It's quite interesting and I liked it but it doesn't seem to be dub to me. It's difficult to make any dub without a bass line (I don't think in all my dub albums there is any track without bass even if it's put through effects), and if you do then the rest would have to be more traditional dub sounds and techniques to make it seem connected to dub.

I did an orchestral dub thing a while ago, there are various things I'd change about it, but I still like the general thing, and if I sorted it out I think it would be very good (I don't mean to say mine is better than yours).
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4422011

stylesforfree

Post by stylesforfree » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:09 am

thanks both for the replies, I produced a whole EP, 5 or 6 tracks, however, like you said, its not quite dub, yet im pretty shit at writing basslines. @ neil I liked the track, very smooth.
I was going for more of a roots approach I suppose, with jazz/orchestral influences.
i like the dark elements, and I tried to be unconventional too altho I dont know if I succeeded but if you liked it then thats a bonus :)