Sax'em All

Moderator: interruptor

Lyonhard

Sax'em All

Post by Lyonhard » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi to everyone!
Finally i'm home again, with my pc and my music! And now it's time to do reggae again!
Here is my new dub song, called Sax'em All, as you can see in the title i've use a sax in this song, check it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRPwYknsxTI

Lyonhard

Post by Lyonhard » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Up :)

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi
I like the overall relaxed mood and handplayed feel of your tune.
The sax is not a real one for sure. It sounds like a multisample. Did you play that on keyboard or with a guitar to midi controller?
The drums sound like played in one go. It's really hard to tell whether it is a real drum set or a midi triggered sampled drum module. Do you want to shed some light on that?
Sometimes the drumming is a bit shakey timing wise which takes away from the overall impression.
best regards
Daniel / The Interruptor

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:38 pm

Seems a bit odd to me to have drums with such a lot of room sound when the rest of the mix is very up front.
On my HD650's the bass punches a bit hard in the mids.
Quite a nice overall feel though.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:20 pm

You are right about the very ambient drum sound vs. the rather dry rest, Neil. I think a more balanced use of ambience would help to glue together the instruments. Currently the instruments are very isolated.

I need to be more precise regarding my statement about "shakey drums": In fact the drum timing is tight throughout the whole track but there are some parts where only the drums are left in the mix. If in such a position the drum part consists mainly of tom variations and the like i think the flow is interrupted too much. Without a binding element keeping the pulse going the track seems to fall apart completely.

Lyonhard

Post by Lyonhard » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Hi!
The sax isn't a real one, you're right, is a nice VST :). I've composed all the sax parts with guitarpro 5, then imported the MIDI into Reaper and add the vst on it.
I'm not a very expert about drum, i've simply used some samples i had. I must admit that there isn't a very balanced use of ambience and reverb, the sax has more reverb than drums or bass.