first try with live band dubbing

Moderator: interruptor

stranded horse

first try with live band dubbing

Post by stranded horse » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:21 pm

http://soundcloud.com/beatwise-and-dubh ... ew-version

We are still kind of stuggling with technical limitations, we just have an 8 track mixer and a tape echo with an antique tape in it (ive ordered new ones though)
we are all instrumentalists and none of us is a decent dub engineer yet, so I hope to get some suggestions for improvement

cheers, Franz

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:37 pm

The Dub sound timbres (tape delay / spring rev) are perfect and their use is good also. What I feel you need to work on most is timing. Either drums or bass seem to be lagging behind or pushing forward all the time. Maybe listening to a click track while practising (or even while recording) could help.

best regards
daniel/interruptor

ps: I like that idea of playing a Kraftwerk tune in dub
Last edited by interruptor on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stranded horse

Post by stranded horse » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Our biggest doubts are always our song structures, i.e. when do we change parts etc, because we don't have lyrics to follow like in a reggae track, so we often feel like we get lost in a part and dont keep it interesting enough for the listener.
What would be your approach to that, if you were to compose an entire dub track rather than remixing samples?
and yes, the timing in this track sucks, but thats mainly because we tried the first time to record every track by itself, rather than playing all together, because we dont have a recording device that can record multiple tracks together. Usually our groove is way better when we play together.
What do you think about the EQing by the way? We are all really inexperienced in that matter.
regards, Franz

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sun May 01, 2011 3:06 pm

I think you structured that track well. I could not think of any rules or guidelines for how to structure a composed dub. As you noted it is important to have enough changes, yet not too many.

While arranging tracks and automating mixes I once had the idea that a helpful concept is to stick to "human proportions". A traditional dub mix for example is created by one engineer moving sliders and pots using his hands. Since there are only two hands which also have to be moved from one control to the next you won't hear many manipulations to the sound being done at the same time. Also, since humans don't like to sit still doing nothing you won't have extended sections in a dub mix without manipulations.
When arranging dub on a DAW one can be tempted to get lost in details. This will typically result in overly complicated automations which a listener will not appreciate. (In other words: the human proportions in the mix are lost / there is no flow / no story is told)
For an inspiring example of "human" dub mix see Prince Jammy's Jailhouse Rock on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdpuJRpd ... re=related

EQing is fine on your track to my ears.

sam pling

click alternative

Post by sam pling » Tue May 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Rather than use a click, try running your whole mix through a delay as you play it live - then you won't have to keep trying to catch up with the click, but you still have a steady reference for timing - also it sounds pretty cool too! Try and use outboard stuff as your DAW may introduce latency and mess the whole thing.