Hueman - from the Canartic CD "Modulotion"

http://youtu.be/tdgXGODF_QA?hd=1

8-)

javahut

Post by javahut » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Canartic, Modulotion - Review

September 4, 2010

by Hypnagogue

I’ve always been a sucker for good bass guitar in any genre, and when I need a fix I can now reach for Canartic’s groovy-bass-thick new offering, Modulotion. Canartic is in full funky bloom here with their signature mashup of echo-loaded psychedelia, trippy dub and blissed-out guitar licks. And, of course, that bass.

One of the things I really enjoy about Canartic is how their sound owes as much to Motown as it does to Montego Bay. Randall Peterson’s guitar playing smacks sweetly of classic smooth R&B with a delicious funk frosting. The slow-played chords that lace their way through the smoke-filled space of “Pod Bai” are a fine example, lazy and seductive and familiar. Peterson gets quite jazzy in the center section of “Hueman,” and his playing there makes me stop whatever I’m doing to just be there with him. (There’s a sound bite in there saying, “Fabulous,” and I must agree.) Add reggae rhythms and cohort Jon Coats’ trippy soundwork backdrops and you’ve got a unique, infectious mix that just carries you along–and you’re happy to go. Dive into “Cleveland (Buzz)” for a tasty shot of Canartic at work…and play. That’s another thing. There’s a joy here, the sound of two guys working off each other’s leads and vibes, genuinely enjoying the creative process in motion.

While Modulotion is a solid CD all around, the duo really hit their stride in “Aux 1,” a dense froth of deep dub guitar and echoes, well-managed crunches of noise and frenetic guitar. It’s got a sense of wild abandon steered with a loose hand on the reins, and it’s simply fantastic.

I know from experience that listening to Canartic can leave you feeling a little high. So get your head ready and light up some Modulotion. It’s a Hypnagogue Highly Recommended CD.

http://hypnagogue.net/2010/09/04/canartic-modulotion/

javahut

Post by javahut » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Canartic – Modulotion Review

By
Dutton Hauhart
– September 5, 2011Posted in: Featured Reviews

CD, Dank Disk, 2010
www.dankdisk.com

This guitar-based and electronic-backed offering of totally dubbed out and lathered down psychedelic downtempo from Canartic is everything an album name like “Modulotion” promises. Beginning with the title track, the release is at once breezy and rippling, crackling and glitchy, yet liquefied in a heady brew of smooth bass vibes. With the epic “Cleveland (Buzz)” as prime example, the dub and funk guitars that rule these ultra-slow motion numbers are buoyed by warm tones and orchestral shimmers, bubbling funnels of sound and trippy reverberations. It is, in short, a salve for the senses.

Much of “Modulotion” swims in this soup of melted bass flecked with flavors of jazz and funk, yet over the course of seven tracks Canartic’s subtle intuitions effectively banish any sense of sameness. Though song structures come across as similar, each breathes its own mix of elements so that, taken individually, the differences might as well be profound. The intoxicating atmosphere of “Spring Reverb”, backed by a warm symphonic buzz, is quite something else when placed alongside the syrup-drenched and spacey “Pod Bai”. The latter’s disembodied voices encourage imagery of long-haul space flight and the associated sensory deprivation. While aforementioned “Cleveland (Buzz)” leans toward funky and loose, “Aux 1” is a masterful but sedate jaunt into the fringes of paranoia, employing dense passages and a feverish, amped-up guitar. One could say that “Hueman”, on the other hand, is downright seductive, its jazz overtones mixing with honeyed bass to form a potent and sensual cocktail.

Though the bass that permeates this album might as well be a weapons-grade sedative, there exists just enough glitch in the electronics on “Modulotion” to keep the senses prickling; loose circuits popping on and off, little reminders that floating in a purple haze is always more interesting with a bit of unexpected texture. Canartic’s casual and grooving sound, free from formality and expectation, lets the listener pick the destination, but with just one caveat – sit back and relax.

[8/10]

– Dutton Hauhart

http://www.connexionbizarre.net/reviews ... odulotion/