Hoester Sound System - Cloudy Morning

Moderator: interruptor

Hoester

Post by Hoester » Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:27 pm

Dear Dub Msg Board, <BR> <BR>Hoester Sound System has released another riddim. 'Cloudy Morning' comes in two versions: a Roots instrumental with almost classical song structure and an extended Dub mix. Searching for another source to dub I first made the original Roots version only for the purpose of dubbing it, but then I found it worth to release also. The drums - especially the hihat - are in a rough lofi style which make them quite dominant. Classical skanks &#40;piano and guitar&#41;, a running bass and some horn lines complete the riddim. <BR> <BR>Cloudy Morning can be downloaded free and legal from Hoester Sound System's besonic.com artist site, the Dub is available for preview: <BR><A HREF="http://www.besonic.com/HoesterSoundSystem" TARGET="_top">www.besonic.com/HoesterSoundSystem</A> <BR> <BR>Any comment is appreciated. <BR> <BR>Peace, <BR>Hoester <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.hoester.com" TARGET="_top">www.hoester.com</A> <BR><A HREF="http://www.mp3.com/HoesterSoundSystem" TARGET="_top">www.mp3.com/HoesterSoundSystem</A>

Hoester

Post by Hoester » Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:02 pm

Finally 'Cloudy Morning' is also available on mp3.com: <BR><A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/2510/2510166.html" TARGET="_top">Cloudy Morning Song Page</A>

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:17 pm

Hi Hoester <BR> <BR>Congratulations.. Nice mixing and very inspired melodies. For me a big improvement over tracks which I downloaded a few months back from your site, which sounded a bit "mechanical" to me. Do you also mix inside Buzz, or is it just the sounds that are created in Buzz? <BR> <BR>keep on dubbing.. <BR>Daniel

Hoester

Post by Hoester » Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:33 am

Thanks Daniel, <BR> <BR>Always good to hear that there is positive improvement. <BR> <BR>Currently I usually produce my songs in two steps: First the basic tracks like bass parts, horn licks or skanks are pre-produced and then in step 2 sampled and treated by effects. <BR>For step 1 I use different sources like Buzz synths, samples from the MIDI system or recorded guitar play by myself. These original sounds are then pre-mixed in Buzz &#40;EQ, compression, distortion, reverb ...&#41;, sequenced roughly and then recorded. <BR>Step 2 is entered with the results of the first step. The tracks are sampled back to Buzz, sequenced and treated by effects &#40;delay, reverb, phaser and so on&#41;. At the same time, mastering is also done here. <BR>The main reason for the seperation in two steps in my case is the high CPU usage when playing all the instruments and effects together. It only costs a minimum of CPU power to play a sample compared to the line synth -> effect1 -> effect2 ... I would really prefer to do it all in one step &#40;= one Buzz session&#41; because this saves much time and you keep a much better overview. However, an advantage of the two step technique is that versions/Dubs of a riddim can easily be done with the original sounds by repeating step 2. <BR>I guess many &#40;digital&#41; Dub producers work in a similar way, no matter if using Buzz, Cubase or whatever. How do you guys work? <BR> <BR>Hoester

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:38 pm

As soundsource I mainly use my E-mu sampler plus some harddiskrecording tracks from Logic Audio. Mixing is done inside the PC on two DSP soundcards from Creamware &#40;Pulsar &#43; Luna&#41;. These can also be used to generate synth sounds and effects. Additionally I use some external effects &#40;tape echo, spring reverb, analog delay&#41; which can be integrated into the DSP system without latency &#40;effect send &#43; return&#41;. <BR>This way I am happily recording all in one &#40;giant..&#41; step