Splet vs Oni I - Dub Rock

Moderator: interruptor

kevingham

Splet vs Oni I - Dub Rock

Post by kevingham » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:02 pm

New release, one riddim, 4 versions, two artists. Roots reggae goes on a journey through digidub and dub techno. Really proud of this one!

Bringing nothing more than a guitar and a vocal sample, Splet spent an afternoon in January at Proper Studios with Oni I. They wanted to play some real instruments, write and record a riddim, and see what happened next. After successfully recording a foundational track it was decided that both artists would take this away and make their own version individually from what had been roughly constructed together. Track 1 is where Splet took this embryonic idea, exploring a journey through abstracted roots reggae via a wash of Dub Techno texture. Track 2 is the sound of Oni I smashing head-first into a deep and driving Digidub, soundsystem monster. It was then decided that each version should be stripped of its component parts and mashed up to create a hybrid, with each artist folding and manipulating the two versions together to create a whole new take. Track 3 is Oni I stripping down these components to reveal a blissful roots rocker full of subtle warmth and groove, while track 4 sees Splet liquifying everything into a pool of gushing, dripping, pulsating ambience.

dubpunk66

Re: Splet vs Oni I - Dub Rock

Post by dubpunk66 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:19 pm

superb soundz :-) :-) :-)

kevingham

Re: Splet vs Oni I - Dub Rock

Post by kevingham » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:56 pm

dubpunk66 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:19 pm
superb soundz :-) :-) :-)
Thank you so much dubpunk66 for listening! Really pleased you enjoyed it :-)