Spacexpander, multi-voltage chassis

Moderator: interruptor

Looter

Post by Looter » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:32 am

Daniel, <BR> <BR>I just saw a complete NOS fisher k-10 on ebay that was wired for 220vac. I also noticed the box was labeled "multi-voltage chassis" or something. Never seen one with the og box and things, not to mention one wired for 220.

Looter

Post by Looter » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:52 pm

PS This one was literally unused & unopened. The cords n thing still had the factory ties on them. I bid on it once, but gave up as it was an as-is auction and the whole 220v question. <BR> <BR>The seller said it was from an estate sale, so I'm guessing some guy here in the US got it and never used it due to the "odd" voltage required.

audioforge

Post by audioforge » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:02 am

hello Daniel. I ve bought a fisher spacexpander on ebay &#40;the one looter spoke on &#41;<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 33586047.i" TARGET="_top">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 86047.i</A> don t think it is new unusued as he said. but this unit have something unsual. on the unit there is a stamp labeled: Egli,fischer&co Zurich. this company still exist in zurich&#40;so maybe they have somewhere inthe backshop some fisher spares...that s for you daniel&#41; .the unit claim to be 220V but maybe the unit was for export or &#40;and i think so&#41; bought in switzerland and bring back to usa. and here my problem :i m afraid of a blue smoke when lite it up... maybe you can help.inside the unit there are 2 fuses: one 250V 1/16A slow fuse before the the transformer power and a 250V 1/10A slow blown fuse after the transformer. i can t see any fuses on the schematics&#40;the one from the net nor the one inside the manual&#41;. do you have fuses inside your unit?. there is a hand cut printed stamp 220v on unit near the power cable &#40;maybe cut from the repair manual i don t know= but i am suspicious about that.&#41; the electric "prise"&#40;switch?&#41; is very big with 3 large rectangular metal plugs in an us style but much bigger and with a 13A included fuse. what do you think of that? thanks for help if you can,thanks too if you can t . have a good day .audioforge

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:49 pm

the ac-plug on this ebay pic does not look like anything that i have ever seen in switzerland. maybe the device was used in a third country? <BR> <BR>i can't remember how many fuses are inside my preamp. it's a long time since i opened it. <BR> <BR>if your unit is made to be rewirable for 220 or 110 volts then i guess there must be two different outputs of the transformator. <BR> <BR>i don't think the device would be damaged if you run it on 110V. if it is really wired for 220v then it will simply not have enough voltage to operate. <BR>you could then use a voltmeter to measure the voltages at the different outputs of the transformator and thus identify which output to connect. take maximum care when running the unit with the box open. don't touch anything inside with your hands. better leave this to a professional. <BR>a save & affordable solution would be to just get a voltage converter for about 20 Euro/US$ and don't change the device at all. <BR> <BR>good luck & have fun..

Preslva

Post by Preslva » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:28 pm

Hi, <BR> <BR>The plug on that picture is most definetely a British 3 prong plug. I have a synth that I had to convert to use in the US. Basically you need the following: a plug adapter and a step down converter. AUDIOFORGE...see if you can find a store on the net that would sell those. If you can't find anything let me know and I"ll recommend the one I used when I get home tonight. <BR>Easy. <BR> <BR>Preslav

audioforge

Post by audioforge » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:12 pm

hi. i live in france, so 220v is the voltage here.i know vacuum tubes are on hight voltage so i will not touch anythings inside.i will unsold the transformator and test it alone . strange unit isnt it? bought from california with a switzerland importator label on,220V tag and a british?? plug. i ll keep you in touch. PS: btw do you know if the unit is really stereo? it seemed to sum the left and right input channel to feed the reverb unit. with mono output of course ,the dry signal in stereo going straight from the input to their respective channel. or the unit is a real stereo preamp?in that case it could be possible to drive 2 reverb tanks with small minor modifications.and have so 2 independant mono reverbs. thanks guys . audioforge

audioforge

Post by audioforge » Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:52 pm

hi.the fisher is now functionnal.i have a slow blow fuse after the transfo dead.change it and it works ok. horrible hight level noise with the reverb on.change the originals fisher rca plugs cords with hifi ones and no more buzz noises.the unit is quite noiseless exept noticable hiss at hight level reverb. if you have originals fisher cords change them all!!! first time i have a spring reverb with such a hight level output on my desk. btw hum adjust drive the tube "7242 "voltage from 0 to 7 Volt.this tube seems to drive the reverb unit. ps:the unit was REALLY original 220V. peace audioforge ;&#41;

ahaman

Post by ahaman » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:18 pm

Hi guys, I have a fisher reverb but the power transformer is dead. Does anybody knows where to get a "new" one,please? <BR>ahaman

mpampouras

k10 noise

Post by mpampouras » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:01 am

Hi to everybody.
Is there a way to get rid of (or reduce) of that noise that k10 produces?
Mine is in really good condition I dont think it has to do with bad parts or anything. I can provide audio links if you want to that you ll tell me your opinion..

Any ideas?

thanks

JahNice

Post by JahNice » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:11 pm

First you should exchange all the cables! I have heard many times the old
RCA cables of the Spacexpander are very noisy(think i read it
somewhere here on DDB..).. Also make sure to feed it a good/strong input
signal.. This way you should be ok with the noise.. But even if it looks like
new it still could be one of the Parts that produces extra noise... Could be
anything from old Tube to caps or whatever! This thing is about 50 years
old even if it looks new.. You have some links?? I dont have a
Spacexpander but many of the other users here do, so if you provide a link they can tell you if yours i noisier than their unit!

Peace Yiannis

mpampouras

Post by mpampouras » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Fortunately I found the problem.
It was indeed the rca cable from the main unit to the tank..

It wasn't the original, it was an old one of mine.
I replaced it and as a miracle noise went away!

GOD ;-)

thanks a lot.

ps. are you from greece?

JahNice

Post by JahNice » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Nice to hear your problem is solved! Yes i am indeed rooted in Greece! Check your pm, peace yiannis