Compressor questions

Moderator: interruptor

I-TalSound

Compressor questions

Post by I-TalSound » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:34 pm

I'm thinking of buying a Compressor to create some pumping noise by sidechain compression triggert from the bassdrum.
My first thought was the Alesis 3630:
Can you recommend this or any other cheap unit?

Might the second channel be useful to avoid unintended "killer-feedbacks" of my self oscillating delay, when dubbing a bit too wired?

Think this are complete beginners questions, but working with compressors is totally new to me. So I would aprecciate some help very much.
Bless, Julien

I-TalSound

Post by I-TalSound » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:49 am

Seems like a comp isn't used that much as a dub effect or my questions have just been to basic, don't know...
Well, I got one for less than 50€ and it's not like a stand alone effect but very versatile to "round up" other units or to give them a special note.

For the two aspects mentioned above it works very well but using it as a feedback killer is some kind of boring...
At the moment I use it for any kind of cranked up, distorted sounds without letting the volume rise up to high or as noise gate for a spring, as "boost" for a highpass and some other nice experiments...

Well its not the "must have" for your rack, but if it was stolen I would definitely get one again.

Bless, J.

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:21 pm

If you want an all hardware setup then you need a hardware compressor if you want a compressor.
If you go through a computer than many plug ins would be equal to or better than the Alesis, including some free ones, or ones bundled with whatever DAW you use.

Yes, building screaming delay feedbacks can be a problem - and yes a compressor will tame those.

I liked the DBX 266xl I used to have - it had a distinct character that I liked.
Last edited by Neil C on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I-TalSound

Post by I-TalSound » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Yes, fully agree with you.
When it comes to recording and using this unit for the purpose it is actually made for I'd say forget about it.

noiseboy

Compressor questions

Post by noiseboy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:48 pm

I used to tour 3630 units and for the money they're pretty flexible units and they sound good too. The main downsides for me (and probably not an issue for you) is that they are unbalanced on jack connectors, not XLR's, so the plugs would always fall out every day in transit. Also the external power supplies are A.C. and so induct interference into anything within close proximity not perfectly shielded (e.g. unbalanced). Both ends of those always used to fall out too.

As for using a compressor for controlling feedback that's one of those things that can only be applied to context. Using one on an effect loop to prevent over-feedback is OK and will work but use one live on a vocal mic turned up loud through a stage-monitor and compression can potentially make microphone feedback problems far worse.

A good engineer will usually choose a compressor for its dynamic-shaping characteristics and the sound that it imparts upon the signal. In that respect there is nothing special about the 3630 but it is good for the money I guess.

From this point of view if budget is not so much of a concern then check out something like e.g. VT737 to see what a really good compressor/pre-amp can do for your signal path.

neytal

Post by neytal » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:24 pm

hi ya,

i would love to join your disscusion about compressor coz it is a thing what makes me lately very inquistive. I use compressor in ableton sidechained to kick drum freq coz i run all tracks from ableton so i see no need for having cheap hardware compressos if you can achief it for free. But it is not what i want to ask.

Past few weeks i try to apply compression on bass to get some bass sound as niel perch has. It is awesome bass and i wonder if is it because of compression and EQ´s or is it some kind of valve pre amp. His sound really gets some kind of balls and is very crisp and clean. I did check the studio list of Zion Train and i did not find any kind compressor. How do you guys do this kind of bass sound?? Does compression have influence on it??

For exemple this kind of bass sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_bdFSQkw18

you can hear the little shake in the bass?

Cheers bros (siss)
Using Ableton Live, recording by midi keyboard Roland Edirol, using live bass guitar, melodica.
I own Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 Chanel mix and effects sotcha Zoom reverbs, Alesis Midiverb, half rack Boss Delays and Vintage time machine