How to achieve that Metallic percusive key sound?

Moderator: interruptor

Jahgon

How to achieve that Metallic percusive key sound?

Post by Jahgon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:52 am

Greetings and most thanks for the information on all aspects of dub and its production.I have read these pages many times but this is my first post so hopefully someone can advise me on metallic / percussive key sounds that are used in so many classic steppers riddims.

I have been trying to work out what I need to do to get that sharp percussive twang on the keys (check out the clip to hear an example) and I dont know whether it is a sample or an effects chain I should be focusing on. I can hear a phaser possibly but any advise from someone who knows better would be grately appreciated. Bless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPFtBkQZ ... lf=mh_lolz

tradesman

Post by tradesman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:10 pm

sounds like phaser and eq to me , try eqin the highs of the piano quite alot and stick a phaser on it , make sure you turn the piano down abit tho cus itl be loud

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:47 am

agree with dradesman, sounds typically phased piano synth.

I would just had that the quality of teh synth you use can greatly impact the "percusive" feeling of it.

And too, it's obvious, but note should be very short in length (if your not using a keyboard to play them).

Good luck

Jahgon

Post by Jahgon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:54 pm

nice one that is the info I was after, Ill give it a go and see if i can get it sounding right.