Boss RE-20 - Pedal Version of RE-201

Moderator: interruptor

overstand

Boss RE-20 - Pedal Version of RE-201

Post by overstand » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi guys. Have heard good things about the RE-20. I was wondering if anyone had tried using it as an insert/auxilliary effect on a desk for vocals or other instruments (apart from guitar). If so, how did you find it. I like the idea of this small compact vintage sounding box that you can tap tempo into without it being the mechanical nightmare that i hear the 201 can be.

Any thoughts?

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:00 am

I agree that this unit is very tempting for all the reasons you mentioned. Unfortunately I couldn't try it so far. Most of the guitar geeks over at harmony central do like it though.

As I see on page 11 of the user manual it has a direct off switch which is specifically aimed at using the unit in the send/return loop of a mixer. So at least the basic requirements for your application are met.

Here is a you tube vid of someone using the re20 in that way. At around 3:00 and 5:30 he sends the unit to self oscillation. I think it sounds pretty much the way it should!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo3ds_MLg1o
And here is another one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFlsBtX-VBk

Some reviews I have seen mention that the reverb does not really sound like the spring reverb in the original box. So don't expect this unit to replace a spring reverb.
Attachments
top_L.jpg
top_L.jpg (172.45 KiB) Viewed 58731 times

overstand

Post by overstand » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:12 am

Those are some nice demos of the RE-20. I think I'll have to invest in one at some point. They strike me as ideal for a live dubbing environment - compact and sturdy too. I notice the pedal has two ins and two outs..
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_imag ... 0/back.jpg

I wonder are the delays/revebs stereo or can you use each effect on two separate channels... will have a read of the manual.

I find some delay effects can really saturate a vocal when used on desk aux but i am hoping this would be different. Desk and cable quality count for a lot here too.

The original Re-201 has gotton quite expensive and a little harder to find in good condition. People go crazy over vintage gear (I saw a pic of Madonna's producer in front of a huge neve/ssl desk and a nice shiney re-201 was taking pride of place in the middle!) which is understandable to an extent but as i am sure has been discussed on this board already: its less what you got and more what you do with what you got :-)

That said, we all fall into the trap of, "if I only had that piece of kit, then i would have the sound i am looking for" - comes a time when ye gotta put a halt on new gear and start creating with what ye have.. kind of saying this to myself as well as putting it out there ! :-)

DeeDubStyle619

Post by DeeDubStyle619 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:19 pm

I use the Re-20 through a mixer. The only complaint I might have, is that the vocals seem to be effected by the intensity knob, more than the snare drum. This means if the drummer cracks the snare drum, the intensity has to be turned up a little more, than if the vocals were getting dubbed out. Not a big deal, just gotta get comfortable with the settings, and have an idea of what exactly you want to create. Overall I love the pedal, highly recommended for live dub, it also has tap tempo ofcourse, and the reverb sounds great. I also have a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay which is nice because its a completely different style and sound.

AUX1Dub

Post by AUX1Dub » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:11 pm

I have used it. I think it's the best echo pedal out now. It doesnt sound like an RE-201. But it does sound good. I use it live, i am not taking a tape delay to a gig. No way.
Previous commentor mentioned the intensity. This is true, but all delay/echoes pick up certain frequencies better than others. I only wish it had midi capability to clock it.

Riddim Bandit

I agree

Post by Riddim Bandit » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 pm

I also bought it for Live purposes, didn't feel comfortable bringing out a tape delay even though our keyboard player says he fixes them and says there build like tanks, I couldn't bring my self to do it. It dose the job not quite as nice as having the real thing. I wasent a fan of the reverb in it, I just use the spring reverb I have in my mixer. Not sure why its in stereo dosen't seen have any presets that echo in stereo. Good buy either way.

AUX1Dub

Post by AUX1Dub » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm

I agree. The reverb is not very good at all. It sounds horrible on drums. Not at all like the original. Since it's geared towards guitar players they didn't consider us Dubheads. The real lovers of the SpaceEcho.
They should come out with a rack mount or better yet take Fulltones lead and re-introduce the Space Echo.

Red eye

Post by Red eye » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:56 am

You can do nice things with this pedal.
Small, clean ( if thats what you want :D ) and dont need any maintenance.
You can use it as an isert, even on aux.
I also agree on the reverb part...dont like it.

I have opened one up to see if it can be fitted into a 19" box because I dont like pedals around but thats gonna take a lot of work.

Red eye

Post by Red eye » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:04 am

I have heared some good things about the cheap DanElectro DE-1 echo pedal.
Never listened to one and I can see there are less control knobs.

Is it even in the same ballpark compared to this Boss pedal ???