DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RECORDING INSTRUMENTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> LEE SCRATCH PERRY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FRANK LUZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: RECORDING INSTRUMENTS Reply with quote

LEE PERRY ... HOW WERE RECORDED INSTRUMENTS (TECHNICAL)? THE BAND WAS RECORDED TOGETHER ALL MUSICIANS? MICS WHICH USED? BASS WAS RECORDED IN DIRECT MIXER? OR WAS USED IN BASS MIC? HOW WERE DISTRIBUTED IN THE RECORDER 4 CHANNEL? PERRY wore ANY COMPRESSOR? EXCUSE . NOT SPEAK INGLISH ... I AM FROM BRAZIL ...
interruptor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi frank!

for a start see this:
"Lee Scratch Perry - Studio Black Ark"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y651C7aNXRc
AUX1Dub

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this thread from Gearslultz. http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/108252-jamaicas-microphones-60s.html

But I wouldn't spend too much time and money buying old equipment like that. Perry did not know much about equipment and used pretty generic stuff, so buying an old low end mic is not gonna be worth it. Also a lot of equipment was modified because it broke. In the above thread there is a story of a ribbon replaced in a mic with 1/4" tape!!! I would get some SM58 and 57s, you can't go wrong. The bass was probably mic'ed. Those old boards may not have had good preamps. Especially Perry's board was not that good.
One thing though Perry recorded a lot at Randy's before Black Ark so keep that in mind when researching.
But IMHO the spirit of Dub is using what's available to you. If you only have a RadioShack mic, use it! If your only reverb is a pedal you found at a second hand store, use it! If you have to creat an echo from old cassette players, do it! When you get good stuff you will know what sounds bad. I did all that and mixed on a Tascam Portastudio. But now I'm thankful I never lost spirit and kept Dubbing even though people told me my equipment sucked.
You'll you need is the love for Reggae music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> LEE SCRATCH PERRY All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: