DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

panning and stereo in general

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> OTHER DUB PRODUCTION TOPICS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stranded horse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: panning and stereo in general Reply with quote

How do you guys approach panning when mixing dub? In my opinion, there are a lot elements that are so strong, they require to be in the center, but then, which elements should not be in the center?
If I had a song with drums, bass, skanks and a melodica, I would feel that everything needs to be in the center.
What would you do?

I also have a problem with drums, because drums are usually in stereo, and I also record them in stereo, but when dubbing, you end up with mono sound if you rout your drums to the same channel, and I don't want to have to move 4 or more faders at once to mute my drums or bring them back in.
So how do you solve this? Mix drums in mono? If yes, which is a good mic setup for mono drums?

regards,
s.h.

AUX1Dub

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right, there are certain elements you want centered. I always center my kick, snare and bass. I usually pan my instruments though. Sometimes just slightly, sometimes alot. I feel they layback in the mix better that way.

What I like to do is use either a stereo reverb, or I usually use two different make of spring reverb, and hard pan them L&R. I run one reverb from the group sends and back to a channel. The 2nd I send from an AUX and back to a channel. Then I layer the SEND reverb on the GROUP reverb. This gives a weird stereo effect and re-centers everything a tad, it also make centered instruments "stereo" on my mono mixer. To trigger the reverb I just turn on the GROUP on the instrument fader and then flick the GROUP fade. Running back to a channel instead of the GROUP return lets me get the reverb tails.

As far as drum panning, you could send them all to a GROUP and pan them that way, split up to what your mixer allows. I use the method of just turning up the faders. I only split them into 2-3 channels though.

For mono drums ou just need to mix your drums mono, there is no different mic set-up I am aware of. You could still use stereo overheads and just mix them mono. You still want ambiance from both sides of the kit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> OTHER DUB PRODUCTION TOPICS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: