DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multitrack Recording With Direct Outs/Inserts to DAW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> LIVE DUBBING
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RubADuck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Multitrack Recording With Direct Outs/Inserts to DAW Reply with quote

Anyone (else) using the direct outs of your mixer to mix down/record the material into your DAW and to still have seperated tracks for the individual channels??

-Are your direct outs POST fader AND POST EQ??
and if NOT, how do you deal with this problems???

-Someone sending OUTs from his DAW through a mixer to mix them and add EQ , amplification and rerecording multitrack to the DAW??

which mixers are you using??
how are your eg. efx routings??
are you also using build-in fx of the mixer??

I really like this way of recording/mixing !!
For me itīs like the perfect compromise between live/analog and DAW/digital because i can mix and use all my analogue hardware totally LIVE but still after that, i can go into my daw and re-edit/clean/change everything that i couldnīt do how i wanted..

So I would be very happy if someone would like to share his knowledge and experinces cause iīm quite new to this way of recording and the whole live mixing world at all...

blessings
Kazuma Zeta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: hi man Reply with quote

i can partially answer your questions, i have done the thing you say a few times with a reggae band. best if mixer has direct outs (expensive mixers), inserts can be used, (they are always post gain and pre other sutff, I think), but, if you are on a live stage, you have to give signals back to te mixer!
So you would have a input channel for every mix channel, and a direct out (on your audio schede) for giving back signals to the mixer, I think you don't have. you could also half insert a mono jack in the insert hole (excuse my bad english), so you don't stop the signal flow in the mixer, you copy it, but, it halfs, i suppose, the amplitude.
I have a method using Reason to both record and live process the tracks, using more than a mixer, if you are interested, leave a reply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> LIVE DUBBING All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: