Roots Radics Style Dub Snares

Moderator: interruptor

musicminister187

Roots Radics Style Dub Snares

Post by musicminister187 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi, can someone please help me find this dub snare sound. I was told it's a combination of snares. I was told that most of the producers on the scene now has sounds which were sampled from the old 2-inch tapes. One I really love is from Gregory Isaacs' Night Nurse.
I'll post some examples below. Does anyone have these or know where I can purchase them? Thanks in advance.

interruptor

Re: Roots Radics Style Dub Snares

Post by interruptor » Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm

I was not aware about a need for samples taken from old session tapes. The examples you posted show the typical acoustic Reggae snare sound of the early eighties. Protoje and other current Roots artists are heavily influenced by that era just before the simmons drum came on the scene around 1983. From 1986 on drum machines were the big thing. Earlyer in the 70s a lighter snare drum sound was typically used (often the rim shot).

I think you should be fine browsing through acoustic drum libraries. Start with what you already have (Most DAWs come with acoustic drum sounds, NI Battery has a large library,..).
Make sure you don't remove too much of the the low frequencies of the snare in the mix. Apply some compression to get a tight snare sound.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 pm

I just found this video: DM Kahn shows in detail how he gets the roots radics sound:

- Ludwig Supraphonic 402 alu snare
- tune the top membrane to ca. 160Hz
- tune the bottom membrane one octave higher (ca. 320 Hz)
- dampen some of the snare wires
- dampen one third of the top membrane with a piece of cloth
- some eq & compression

So you could either do all of this yourself, sample from the YouTube Video (which you won't do as a self respecting human being) or ask him to give you access to his recording. There is even an email address in the description. :)
Hit up Kahn to inquire about his drum sample pack to his email: thekahn@gmail.com

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 pm

Finally there is one more option: A set of 24 drum tracks played by Style Scott the original Roots Radics drummer are available in mutitrack format at drum-drops.com for EUR 33.50:

https://www.drum-drops.com/collections/ ... b-volume-1

musicminister187

Post by musicminister187 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:02 pm

interruptor wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 pm
Finally there is one more option: A set of 24 drum tracks played by Style Scott the original Roots Radics drummer are available in mutitrack format at drum-drops.com for EUR 33.50:

https://www.drum-drops.com/collections/ ... b-volume-1
Thanks I did see these but I guess I'll have to try different compressors to get the tightness.

DM_Kahn

Post by DM_Kahn » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:53 pm

interruptor wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 pm
I just found this video: DM Kahn shows in detail how he gets the roots radics sound:

- Ludwig Supraphonic 402 alu snare
- tune the top membrane to ca. 160Hz
- tune the bottom membrane one octave higher (ca. 320 Hz)
- dampen some of the snare wires
- dampen one third of the top membrane with a piece of cloth
- some eq & compression

So you could either do all of this yourself, sample from the YouTube Video (which you won't do as a self respecting human being) or ask him to give you access to his recording. There is even an email address in the description. :)
Hit up Kahn to inquire about his drum sample pack to his email: thekahn@gmail.com

Thanks for the shout out! Keep on dubbin’ !
D👑K

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:49 am

Hi!
That‘s a fantastic video! It was an eye opener for me. :thumbsup:

DM_Kahn

Post by DM_Kahn » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:24 am

Thanks man! Yeah, There’s no mysticism to it, even though people try to romanticize about it. The biggest thing to remember other than the techniques shown in the video is the fact that everything back then was ran through a console’s preamps; to tape, then again went through the line amp of the console, and printed summed to tape (and obviously whatever outboard eqs and potentially compressors)... what I’m getting at is the transformers and tape saturates the sound, so if you use analog plugins that emulate the same sort of signal path (Ie the diffrrrnt stages of saturation... preamp, tape, console, outboard eqs, tape) then you can get close!
Super stoked on this forum, I never knew it existed until yesterday! Bless up and keep up the good works here.
D👑K

Siggi Holiday

Post by Siggi Holiday » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Welcome DM Kahn! loved your tutorials on youtube!

DM_Kahn

Post by DM_Kahn » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:14 am

Thanks Siggi! Big up

AUX1Dub

Post by AUX1Dub » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:08 pm

A quick and easy way to get a similar sound is to have the drummer put a washcloth on the snare. It’s the short decay youre after.